Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,
Studying the M1 Garand for over 30 years I have to wonder about something and that something is REDUNDANCY. Do you think that the M1 Garand was designed with any redundancy in mind---e.g. Could the M1 Garand fire function with a broken op-rod spring ?? We have seen guys showing pic's of receiving M1 Garands with broken op-rods that still passed the 1 clip test before shipping out. If so can any of you think of parts in the M1 Garand that could keep the Garand firing even if just like a bolt action ?? Think about it and let see what some of you can come up with. I know that if I don't post a pic most guys will let this just go by. I hope that some of you jump in.
I could use some input on this question guys because I think it is important.
Some data has been posted before others have not.
Gentlemen you know what to do.
Thanks again
Clancy
NRA Life Endowment
NRA Training Counselor
NRA Instructor
FSS 90% / BW X Speed Div by 1000 = PF
THA 63

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
Very interesting question Eclancy,
Too bad we can't ask John Garand that...
In my humble opinion since it was after WW1 and the Army requested new weapons and a lot of ingenious designs were submitted that didn't fit the military bill, The Garand was adopted because it met Most of the criteria.
The M1 was the product of years of design and redesign, experimenting with various operating systems, testing new ideas and refining old ones.The Battlefied in WW2 revealed problems that had to be addressed, hence, the M1E1,M1E3,M1E4,M1E9,M1E10,M1E11,M1E12 changes to the op rod / Gas system tests. The ultimate Goal being a Reliable Semi-auto rifle that didn't break in the battlefield and get our soldiers killed.It would seem that by design however that a failed gas system op rod unless the broken parts jammed up would still allow a soldier to manually operate the bolt and fire one round at a time like a bolt action rifle, however I cannot find instructions to a soldier in the manuals to do this if semi-auto fails...Hmmm.Redundancy or Reliability ???
Rich

·
Registered
395 Posts
I would say: Clip ejector spring is a part that makes the rifle functioning without it doing its job.

Interesting question Ed!!!

Rob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts