Questions About Marlin 795

Discussion in 'Marlin' started by Sober, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Sober

Sober G&G Newbie

I just tore down my Marlin for the first time and cleaned and oiled it put it back together exactly how it supposed to go. But now the action seems to be a little rougher/tougher and the tigger pull isn't as light as it was. When I pull the trigger the Clack nosie has also gotten a little louder than it was initially. Like before i was actually doubting it would ingnite the primer because of how quiet the hammer was. Now the Clack sounds almost like my ruger 10/22 and the pull is about the same also, maybe a little lighter. Any ideas?

2. Dragunov

Dragunov G&G Evangelist

I've cleaned mine a couple of times (Marlin 795). I found that if I blow out the action REAL good with CLP, wipe it down and re-assemble it, It doesn't do that. However, Big Shrek is our Marlin expert here and could probably be more helpful. Maybe he'll chime in.

3. Sober

Sober G&G Newbie

I have cycled the bolt about 50-100 times and it seems that the action is smoother now. But when I insert the mag and cock the bolt back that first time it is suprisingly tough to do. I think I mgiht chalk this up to the Rifle being brand new and not broken in yet but I could still use input. Thank you

4. Have you shot it yet? My model 60 got smoother after a few hundred rounds.

5. Sober

Sober G&G Newbie

Nope thats why I cycled the bolt a whole bunch of times it seems smoother now for sure.

6. big shrek

big shrek G&G Evangelist

It sounds like you tightened the stock screws too much.

Back the forearm screw off a quarter turn then check it.
    Then another quarter turn...then check it...until you find it's Happy Place :D

Escutcheons are a mod you will want to think about...inexpensive, yet really usefull :D

7. Sober

Sober G&G Newbie

I tried the forearm screw and i didn't notice a change in anything but when I loosened the screw behind the trigger guard I noticed a Difference for sure the pull got a little lighter and smoother and the clack(for lack of a better term) was not as profound. Thank you Its hard to believe something so simple could deviate from performance.......Now it is ok to dryfire these right cause I have dryfired quite a few times tryin to determine the trigger pull?

8. You never want to dry fire any rimfire. It could cause the firing pin to break, and the firing pin hits the outside of the chamber which can cause issues....just don't do it. And if you want to dry fire it to test the trigger put a spent piece of brass in there.

9. big shrek

big shrek G&G Evangelist

^^^ what he said :)

on a new Marlin, you're likely to bend the firing pin...which is a pain...

Even a plastic wall anchor is better than nothing :)

10. Sober

Sober G&G Newbie

Well I used a spent shell casing and noticed that the dent is not as long from this gun as a Ruger but it goes just as deep. How can I tell if I bent the firing pin? The reason I thought it might be ok is cause in my ruger 10/22 handbook says you can dryfire as much needed cause it wont hurt the rifle.

11. big shrek

big shrek G&G Evangelist

Dryfiring anything with an empty chamber is a subject of much debate...
    it's preferable not to for most folks.

Most folks prefer to put something in there than can keep the chamber rim from getting dented.
    Or sometimes the pin will just break...metal fatigue/other causes.

That's why there are so many signs at Gun Shows & Shops that say "DO NOT DRY FIRE OUR GUNS!!"

12. quietman

quietman G&G Newbie

13. big shrek

big shrek G&G Evangelist

Pachmyer makes GOOD stuff :)

I've used their grips :D

14. dothedrew57

dothedrew57 G&G Evangelist

Not to highjack a thread but how the heck do you take the mags for this rifle apart?

15. big shrek

big shrek G&G Evangelist

It's a little tricky, but that plate on the bottom does slide off.

I use my desk, get the end with the bump lined up, and use my hand to push it off.
    Once you get past the bump, it slides right off.

Re-installation is the reverse.

16. dothedrew57

dothedrew57 G&G Evangelist

both ends have bumps though. which direction should i try to push it off