Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up 2 Mosins yesterday, one is an M44 made in 1946, and the other looks like a 91/30, but the sights are different than what i thought 91/30's came with, and the hex reciever is stamped "1905". I was really impressed with theshape these 2 guns where in when i went to pick them up. Both are in outstanding condition, and the M44 looks like it was made yesterday, minus a few small dings on the stock. the bores on both are bright and shiny, with great rifling. Sorry for the crap pics, but i took them with my phone since my camera is in California, and im in VA. I was just wondering what the story was on my older rifle, is it a dragoon? just an early 91?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
You have a m91 not a dragoon.

btw mine's also dated 1905, is yours also sa marked?

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Zephri is correct in assuming that it is a Finnish SA. The sling mounts are Finn. Please note the rear sight as you mentioned is different than the M44 sight. The Russian M91 was originally gauged for the old Russian measurement of Arshini or Arshins approximately equal to 28 inches...

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
Sure looks like a Finnish m91, but it doesn't match the dates listed for them.
I used the Mosin Nagant Rifle Model Identification Guide and it came up as an m91 or Dragoon, depending on the length.
The Finns didn't always do a complete makeover on the guns they got hold of; sometimes they did only what was necessary to make them usable, and sent them to the lines.

And then of course there are people like me. I stumbled into a beautiful Finnish m91 stock a while back, so I looked on gunbroker.com and found a New England Westinghouse with a bubba'd stock.

The NEW never left the states, but it's wearing pretty Finn clothes anyway...

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
And then of course there are people like me. I stumbled into a beautiful Finnish m91 stock a while back, so I looked on gunbroker.com and found a New England Westinghouse with a bubba'd stock.

The NEW never left the states, but it's wearing pretty Finn clothes anyway...
Good on ya Troy... our Russian Ladies need new dresses every once in a while. :wink1:

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
Right on. I bought a 1916 Romanian with rusted/pitted out barrel for the receiver and sights. Receiver for a rifle project. Sights for another. I have been taking heat over this from some buddies. Isn't that how a lot of these were reborn? Come on now...

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It does have SA markings, so that makes it a re-worked Finn, eh? Are these any more rare/valuable than a normal 91/30, or can i go shoot the crap out of it and not feel guilty?

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Well, a Finn is a collector, but we have guys here that shoot 'em all the time.

I mean, look at the gents that own Barrett M82A1 "Light Fifties"... That gun's worth more than ten times what the Finn is worth and people still shoot it. Sure, they're not making Finns anymore and they are making the Barrett, but with proper care and maintenance, your Mosin will easily outlive you.

Shoot it.

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
You obviously don't have the right attitude, Steve

Right on. I bought a 1916 Romanian with rusted/pitted out barrel for the receiver and sights. Receiver for a rifle project. Sights for another. I have been taking heat over this from some buddies. Isn't that how a lot of these were reborn? Come on now...
You aren't even supposed to wipe the dirt off an old rifle when you buy it. You're supposed to immediately seal it in something airtight (preferably opaque so the light can't degrade the finish, and it can't be defiled by infidels staring at it), build an altar around it in the corner of your bedroom, and worship the latest manifestation of the great god called Collector's Item.:22:

What marked it as a Rumanian? Did it have red paint stripe or stock markings designating it an Instructee? I have a 91/30 Instructee with an M91 front sight, and a bore that looks like nine miles of bad road. Somehow, it's as accurate as the other Mosins I own; go figure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Took M44 to the range, and went through 40 rounds of some silver bear, and all I have to say is holy fireball batman! And that i woke up the next day with a big bruise... BTW, does anyone know if Sivler Bear casings are reloadable?

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,312 Posts
IMHO - you have a converted ex-dragoon that was later "Finned". The front sight on raising block indicates a converted rifle - otherwise it'd have a 91/30 front sight. I am surprised the Finns didn't change the rear sight though.

This is what makes 'collecting' Mosins fun - always something new popping up! :)

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Its def a finn!! I would def hang onto that rifle , unless you wanna ship it to me:kidding:

·
Premium Member
30,668 Posts
it depends on the rifle.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts