Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've recently acquired a sporterized (done some time in the 40s, probably a bringback since it has no import marks and it was a later production MAC gun. Not particularly rare or valuable, don't be too mad at Bubba haha) Berthier M.16 and I found the bolt handle appeared to be finished with some black metal oxide about halfway down (I'll post some pictures in a second). I'm assuming it was done postwar since I can't find many pictures of similar firearms, but if any of you know anything about this or what process might have been used to finish the bolt handle like this please let me know.

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
I don't see any black oxide I see patina, the shiny part on the bolt is were it slides through the receiver race. These rifles and carbine were originally blued in hot salts but that finish is long gone. Your firearm is chambered in the 8mmLebel aka 8X50R which is not too easy to find. Can you post a picture showing the whole gun? Welcome to G&G!

Reactions: jwrauch

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sure, I'd be happy to. I was specifically referring to the clear line where what appears to be a some sort of finish starts on the bolt handle right below the serial number. Not sure how well it shows up on camera, but in person the bolt handle looks to be blued or something. I say the rifle was probably sporterized in the 40s because of the apparent age of the sights they put on. Might be able to snap a picture of them if you're interested.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
I believe the part of the bolt you are referring to where the serial number is. That appears to be the wear area where the bolt handle when lifted the bolt is pulled to the rear, it is pulled between the split bridge area of the receiver, repeated opening and closing of the bolt have burnished the finish in that area...

Reactions: rando

·
Premium Member
10,335 Posts
Looks like the rifle has been Parkerized. The bolt handle looks like the same finish as the receiver. The light part where the serial# is was caused from finish wearing. The wearing is from bolt being cycled in the receiver many times.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't see any black oxide I see patina, the shiny part on the bolt is were it slides through the receiver race. These rifles and carbine were originally blued in hot salts but that finish is long gone. Your firearm is chambered in the 8mmLebel aka 8X50R which is not too easy to find. Can you post a picture showing the whole gun? Welcome to G&G!
I know this is a late reply but looking at where the bolt interfaces with the reciever I realized you're totally right. I thought you misunderstood for a while haha

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.