Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I've been talking about it for a very long time, but I've decided to look into buying a Mosin 91/30 for real this time. The owner of the local pawn shop told me that Mosin's come and go, so I'll be stopping by regularly and seeing what they have. From reading my old threads, and the responses of you guys, I've come up with some things to look for.

1) Bore pitting. How do I determine if the bore is pitted? Will it be painfully obvious?

2) Counterboring, and crowning. What are they, and how do I detect them. Is it very important that they be avoided?

3) Wood quality. Obviously dings, nicks, and whatnot lessen the overall quality of the wood, but what else do I need to avoid? Laminated, not laminated?

4) Metal condition. How do I determine if the metal is in good condition? Are there specific, dangerous deficiencies I need to look for?

5) Matching numbers. I am unfamiliar with this term. Is it vitally important that the numbers match? What numbers are we talking about? Will I be able to tell if they match just by looking at them?

Sorry to bother you guys with my Mosin questions, for the 10th or so time. I've got money in the bank now, so I think it's time to step up and buy a Mosin. Any of these questions that you guys could answer would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,
Jeff

·
Registered
156 Posts
1 Look for 'dots' in the bore. Yes, you'll see them.
2 Cleaning up the muzzle end of the bore. Counterboring removes the last of the rifling (improves accuracy) Crowning makes it prettier
3 Laminate or not, doesn't matter.
4 Rust. Amount of bluing left.
5 Matching numbers mean that all parts are from the original gun. Electropenciled parts means that it was made from parts guns. (matching isn't hard to find, go for it)

This is just my opinion, your mileage may vary.

·
Premium Member
30,668 Posts
fordruid nailed em all so there ya go! ya dont need me

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How do I tell if the numbers are matching? I assume the reciever has numbers, but what else is numbered?

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
How do I tell if the numbers are matching? I assume the reciever has numbers, but what else is numbered?
The numbers will be stamped, rather than stenciled. They will also not be 'struck-out' with a scratched line.

The bolt, just in front of the handle, and the magazine floorplate on the bottom. Also, there may be one on your bayonet if you have a 91/30 with accessory package. There may be other locations, but not on mine. I was fortunate enough to get (not known to me until recently) a matching-numbers CAI-refurbished gun from Big 5 that's an ex-sniper (why I bought it). The bayonet doesn't match the three gun markings, though. Meh, no biggie, I tried to put it on once and put it back in the safe, never to go on again. I'll just grab my katana for that; I doubt the bayo would want to come off.
:drive:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts