close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Questions fo AK gurus

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by FALPhil, May 24, 2002.

1. If I was going to do the kit building thing for an AK, what parts would I want to assemble? Whose receiver, etc.?

What are the 922(r) requirements for the AK?

Is mounting a barrel in a trunion hard to do correctly?

2. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

922r, as far as I know, doesnt discriminate between AKs and FALs. 10 or less listed imported parts and you're good for hi caps and 1 out of 5 restricted features of the '94 ban. Thing about AKs is that they have more parts, like a trunion, 2 piece handguard, etc, and some replacement parts are harder to find and cost more.

I personally hate the SAR-1 style stock. It's hard to brace and uncomfortable, it pokes into your shoulder instead of resting against it, and it slides sround. I'd lean more towards a synthetic or skeleton stock. Check out ACE's accessories, they have Galil, Yugo, AR, HK, and FAL style grips.

By the way, I don't even have an AK. I've fired them, stripped them, examined different kinds, and almost bought them, but got an SKS-D instead. To me, AKs are like girls that I respect and think are cool, but am not interested in going out with. I'll get to know them as well as I can in case I need to work with them in a pinch, but can't see myself calling one my own, at least for now.

Last edited: May 24, 2002

3. Found a couple of websites that show you how to make your own "stamped" receiver. Doesn't look like anything I couldn't handle if I only had a 20-ton press.

4. BattleRifleG3

5. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

I am not clear on the laws concerning manufacturing a firearm (receiver). I have some idea about assembling one using imported and domestic parts, but this is different.

6. BattleRifleG3

Manufacturing a longarm is fine if it's for personal use and complies with all the laws. I think you're limited to three longarms per year, and you must mark it with your name and date of manufacture, I think. Anything more requires an FFL.

7. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

Interesting. I have this idea for a delayed blowback action and was thinking about about building a prototype. Is the law any different for a handgun? Where do I find the Federal laws pertaining to this?