close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Questions on my "new" old rifle.

Discussion in 'Rimfire Rifles' started by Jonah Gann, Apr 15, 2018 at 12:36 AM.

1. Jonah Gann

Jonah Gann G&G Newbie

VA
    I recently made a purchase and got a "SEARS 3T-.22" and from searching online it appears to be a Sears branded Winchester 190 that were made around 1966. It is functional but the stock has a split in the wood and kinda beat up. (Currently teaching myself on replacing it)

Now my questions are.
    1. Can I change the caliber to something larger down the road? (Since it has the original barrel)
    2. Are there any modifications that can be made (better grips/sights/3rdparty accessories)?
    3. Any suggestions for this rifle at all?

(And before I'm told it was a waste of money, $30 for a working varmint rifle isn't bad I don't believe) 20180415_003416.jpg

minkowski1552 likes this.
  2. gsbuickman

gsbuickman G&G Evangelist

HiHi , welcome to G&G :) . If you plan on sticking around stop by the introduction area and say hello to everyone. On another note I'm quite fond of a lot of the old department store rifles especially those from Sears because the majority of them were made by high standard. I wouldn't waste the time effort and money of trying to change it to a different caliber seen as how it's only a little rimfire, it just isn't worth it. It's also not worth adding a bunch of third-party stuff to ,to try and make it something that it's not. I would either look into fixing the original Factory stock or replacing it with another Factory original stock if you can find one. As far as the sites go you can pay a gunsmith to replace them but that's up to you . Since it's only a little Rimfire rifle about all I would do to it is possibly put Target / peep sights on it . More than likely you can put a rear peep sight on it without altering the factory sights like I recently done to my 1930s Stevens Buckhorn 22

Merle, minkowski1552, Cyrano and 2 others like this.

3. Most .22 rifles are pretty much "What you See is What You Get", with very few (if any) aftermarket items available. As far as changing the caliber the answer is no, and very few rifles give you that option either unless they were designed to be multi caliber or had the same model available in different calibers and most of those would require a gunsmith to do it. About the only real option you have with your rifle is to mount a scope on it if it has the 3/8" dovetail on top of it (which is likely but some rifles require specific mounts.

Personally with it being what it is I would give it a good cleaning, Carpenter Glue and clamp the stock and then take it to the range and see how it shoots before even adding a scope. If the barrel is good and it's accurate then think about putting a scope on it, if not it would be a waste of money to do so.

If you want to play with putting together a .22 with all kinds of parts accessories I would get a used Ruger 10/22... Tons of options and accessories for those, but you can sink a lot of money into those too!

Since I don't know your circumstances it's hard to make any other recommendations, but if your on a budget I would just clean it up and start practicing with it. I had a Winchester 190 and it was a decent little rifle, from the picture you posted this one looks pretty rough, but again if the bore is good and it's sound mechanically it may well shoot fine despite the cosmetics.

4. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

1. Probably not.
    2. Fix the broken stock. The stock can be removed and glued back together. Possibly mount a small .22 scope, if your eyes need it.
    3. Clean it. Fix it. Shoot it.

PAPA G, minkowski1552, Cyrano and 3 others like this.
  5. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Dang, EO, you beat me by seconds! LOL

PAPA G and minkowski1552 like this.
  6. Jonah Gann

Jonah Gann G&G Newbie

VA
    I figured I couldn't rechamber it but since I'm new I guessed asking couldn't hurt and I appreciate the info. I do intend on keeping everything original but I also like to make things so the not so practical ideas are ok with me. I don't focus on budget when brainstorming ideas. I do plan on getting a 10/22 down the road but as someone that tinkers. Messing with a 30 dollar rifle won't bother me as much as messing with a 300 dollar rifle. Again thank you for your replies.

PAPA G likes this.
  7. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

The Winchester 190 is a decent rifle, as was the 290. The 490 had problems. I have brought a lot of worn or damaged old twentytwo rifles back to life, andvit is satisfying. Repair it, use it and enjoy it.

PAPA G and minkowski1552 like this.
  8. gsbuickman

gsbuickman G&G Evangelist

I know right?, I've seen guys that have the better part of $2k tied up in there 10/22's, and they seem to have all the tactikool Mall Ninja gizmos hanging off of them including a dog whistle and a can / bottle opener ...

PAPA G and EtherialOne like this.
  9. A 10/22 Story: A Long Time Ago in a Galaxy... er No, that's not it.... A Number of years ago when I was still married I found a Sharp little 10/22 factory target model that had to come home with me from my LGS. Beautiful thumb hole stock, polished bolt with a nice little 1.5x4.5 Bushnell Circle-X ontop of it and it shot real nice too! However when I went to the range the Mrs took a fancy to it so my new toy became her new toy.

New Toy Less I decided I wanted a gussied up 10/22 and remembered I had an old 10/22 that I picked up at a pawn shop back in the 80's that functioned ok but wasn't too accurate and was generally a closet queen. So I started looking at parts and decided I'd build my own!.. Archangel free-float stock, ER shaw fluted barrel, extended mag release, auto-release bolt hold open, rubber buffer, 3x9 Circle X and several BX-25 mags later I had my own New-Old toy and my old $100 10/22 with about another $400+ was now my New Target 10/22. I could have spent a good bit more but decided to keep with the "bang for the buck" methodology and to this day if I'm having a Rimfire day at the range it's coming along and hands down from the time I built it it's had more rounds through it than anything else I own and I still love shooting it. (I Love stories with a Happy Ending).

Here's a pic from a couple of years back of my Dad shooting it at the range (good day!)-
    P1050031.jpg

PAPA G, MoDoc, cjleete and 4 others like this.
  10. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    $30 for a respectable little plinker/varmint gun? You got yourself a deal, Jonah Gann. Color me envious.

For fixing the stock, you might consider using the water-activated Gorilla Glue and clamps. Go lightly with the glue, it expands and clings to every little crack and crevice, and sets up like rock. I've actually used it to repair garden statuary in concrete and stone. It works well on wood as well.

Welcome to the Forum, by the way.

11. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

you could change the round to something else.
    unfortunately a box of that ammo would cost more than the rifle with the changes made to it and it's only made every 8-10 years unless there is a panic run of some sort going on at the time so it gets skipped until the next cycle.

I'd just shoot it until it broke again and buy another 22.

12. Jonah Gann

Jonah Gann G&G Newbie

VA
    Cleaning it out today, guts are dirty but no rust and nothing broke, the firing pin is worn and could be replaced, but works for now. 20180415_113947.jpg

cjleete, PAPA G and Cyrano like this.
  13. minkowski1552

minkowski1552 G&G Evangelist

Welcome to The Forum. I remember when I was young reading the Sears catalog and looking at the rifles and I'm saying to myself someday I'll have something like that. Hope you get it shooting again.

PAPA G and Jaison like this.
  14. cjleete

cjleete G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

the good news is pretty much everything on your rifle is available through gun parts corp or Brownells. I have the same rifle broken down in my dresser drawer just waiting for the time to refinish the receiver. I bought a new stock and fore end and it's going to look good when I'm done.

minkowski1552 likes this.
  15. cjleete

cjleete G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

The product for the receiver refinish is Brownell's Aluma-Hyde. I've just been waiting for my brother to turn over his old Winchester model 250 lever action so I can do them both at once.

minkowski1552 and EtherialOne like this.
  16. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I miss the good old Sears Catalogs, and all the neat stuff in them. I remember looking at them in my younger days, see something and say I want that. flip the page and repeat I want that from front to back! :cool::D:)

minkowski1552 and Big Dog like this.
  17. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

In my childhood, the Sears Christmas Catalog was pure eye candy - toys, guns, the cute JAWA motorbike, etc.

cjleete, minkowski1552 and PAPA G like this.