Questions on registering "old" guns???

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Oxford, Oct 23, 2002.

1. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

I've always done my target shooting on a farm along a hill or something like that.

However, I'm wondering if I'll be required to register my guns if I become a member of an indoor /outdoor firing range. Didn't ask the clerk yesterday when I visited there but later that thought entered my mind.

The reason this is important to me is because I've had three of my guns for so many years that there's no paper trail of ownership proving anything. One was bought in 1961 and all paperwork is lost, another was given to me by my deceased father-in-law who had bought it through the NRA around 1965 and didn't have any paperwork available, and another I bought through the NRA around 1967 and don't have any paperwork for.

If registering them is required I don't expect to abide, therefore, won't join the club. The government doesn't need to know about those three guns is the way I feel about the issue.

Please let me know how the system usually works when you take your guns to a membership only target range.

Oxford:nod:

2. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Any range that wanted me to register my guns could kiss my arse! There should be no way that you should have to, its no ones business. I've never heard of this in my area.

3. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

only time i have heard of this is joining a military gun club, the MP's like to know about them. other than that i haven't heard of private clubs doing this.;)

4. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

NRAJOE and PAPA G: Thanks! That's what I wanted to hear from someone more experienced than me. That may be what I'll be told when I go back to the shooting club near me that I visited yesterday.

I wanted to be prepared with my answer.

Oxford:assult: :nod:

5. guffster

guffster Guest

I've never heard of a private club requiring that. About 6 or 7 years ago the public range run by the sheriffs dept. started requiring the ser# of your gun, but with all the complaints & people like myself quit going they eventually stopped that policy.

6. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Thanks for the comment, guffster.

The indoor pistol range I'm looking at has the following membership charges:

Daily-----------$10/day
    Monthly Member--$10 + $6 per visit
    Annual Member---$35 + $6 per visit or $150 + $1 per visit
    Purchased targets and ammo at additional charge
    Eye & ear protection provided at no cost

How do these rate compare to others around the country?

Oxford

7. tommy

tommy G&G Enthusiast

looks like a good deal to me .

8. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    rates dont look too bad. and i agree if any range were too want the serial #'s off of my guns-they too could kiss off!!

9. I don't know of any range that does that. They would go broke trying to enforce that regulation.

10. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Thanks guys. I've now got a real clear picture of what I'll do.

In light of what you've told me, it's very unlikely they'll ask me to register them. If they do...as NRAJOE said, they can "kiss my arse."

Oxford :nod:

11. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

Ox there is no such thing as gun registration and the day they require it in my state I will move to one that doesn't

12. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

I got that message loud and clear. THANKS!
    Ox

13. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

That IS a good deal, both oudoor clubs in my area want $125 a yr, plus you donate 40 hrs of help each yr. No extra money daily though.

14. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

"Don't ask, don't tell!"

I only go to an outdoor range, free to the public. There are pros and cons, but I like it. The only thing I've seen the LEO's get steamed about is people using clay targets (plays havoc with the mower!), shooting glass, and the rare idiot who comes out drunk.
    They've never checked on SKS/AK legality, full auto legality or similar things in my ten years going there. We are self policing, and a pretty honest group. The one guy who drove off once leaving his rifles behind, got 'em back when he returned an hour later. Boy, was he embarrassed! :eek:

15. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    just to add, our outdoor range here is $35 a year and they like a labor donation now and then. Not mandatory.

Ox,
    Those guns you talk about, they are "freebies" don't ever get rid of 'em.

good shooting.

16. dhermesc

dhermesc G&G Evangelist

Don't knock the labor donation. We have a free range here but it seems the older the shooter, or the more expensive the rifle he has, the less he feels he needs to contribute. I catch all kinds of [email protected] when the Freinds of the NRA sponsors a Kids Shoot. Hard to show parents and kids the positive aspects of shooting when some cranky old [email protected] is yelling about how we are violating his rights when he's told it youth only.

17. Gyrene

Gyrene Guest

$10.00 per day at our County Range, No club annual dues, although CMP/NRA Clubs do use the ranges at scheduled times, and it is a good idea to join one of them, if not all, to maximize the availability of the range, for your use. If it is legal for the general public to own, it is legal to shoot. Of course the PRK limits what is legal a little more than other states. The Range Masters do not check the rifles and handguns when they are brought in, and you are expected to follow the state laws in transporting them. The Range Masters do check ALL firearms to be sure they are secure EVERYTIME when people must go downrange to change (etc.) targets, and that is when any illegal weapons are found.

A couple of times there were visibly not legal, select fire full auto rifles brought in, and the owners (possessors) were told to take them off the range. The PRK does not allow full auto weapons to be owned by individuals, and only police, Military, and movie companies are allowed the possession and use of them.

All LEOs use the range at various times (Local, State, and Federal), and it is in the range users best interests to be legal. You can never be sure who you are talking to, or who is shooting next to you. The FBI and BATF personnel use the range (with the public present) and they have brought their duty MP-5's, but they have to use them in semi auto mode only.

18. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Gyrene:

Sounds like the daily range fee in my city (Kansas City, MO) is very similar in cost to yours. Makes me feel better to learn all the above information from you guys.

Thanks for all of your help.

Oxford:nod: