Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my first mauser its a Turkish M1938, I bought it off of gunbrokers I did a little research behind it and found out 8mm is a confusing ass round. I thought I had it figured out when I bought it but now I don't sooo hopefully someone can either say I'm screwed and have to get it milled out (if I can and if the bolt will be able to with stand the added pressure) too .323 or say I'm just over thinking and I'm good. On gun broker it said it was 8x57 JRS but I also found out alot of shops don't know the difference between the rounds themselves so hopefully someone can give me some answers. I also get the gun Jul 1st

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
A 1938 Mauser should have the .323 bore, and should be marked “JS” to indicate this. Bores marked “j” and produced up into the early 1900’s ( very early) had the .318 bore.
You could always slug the bore to be certain, but by 1938 they were definitely making the bores in .323. I have a k. Kale Turkish Mauser and it is definitely a .323 bore.
Those things are built tough, if anything check the headspace before you shoot it. I put 50 rounds of hot Yugoslavian 8 mm down range in one sitting, when I came home my wife asked me what the heck I had done to myself. I was wearing a tank top, and my shoulder was a very nice shade of purple.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A 1938 Mauser should have the .323 bore, and should be marked “JS” to indicate this. Bores marked “j” and produced up into the early 1900’s ( very early) had the .318 bore.
You could always slug the bore to be certain, but by 1938 they were definitely making the bores in .323. I have a k. Kale Turkish Mauser and it is definitely a .323 bore.
Those things are built tough, if anything check the headspace before you shoot it. I put 50 rounds of hot Yugoslavian 8 mm down range in one sitting, when I came home my wife asked me what the heck I had done to myself. I was wearing a tank top, and my shoulder was a very nice shade of purple.
I just purchased my first mauser its a Turkish M1938, I bought it off of gunbrokers I did a little research behind it and found out 8mm is a confusing ass round. I thought I had it figured out when I bought it but now I don't sooo hopefully someone can either say I'm screwed and have to get it milled out (if I can and if the bolt will be able to with stand the added pressure) too .323 or say I'm just over thinking and I'm good. On gun broker it said it was 8x57 JRS but I also found out alot of shops don't know the difference between the rounds themselves so hopefully someone can give me some answers. I also get the gun Jul 1st
Also another ques

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also another question is is it rim like the 7.62x54r or js it a regular centerfire round?

·
Premium Member
25,661 Posts
Also another question is is it rim like the 7.62x54r or js it a regular centerfire round?
It's a rimless cartridge.
The .318 bore size was long gone though by the time the Turks began using the 8mm cartridge.
Stop by the "introduction Forum" and introduce yourself to the G&G membership.

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
Welcome to the forum and to the Mauser club !!

Reactions: ChaZam

·
Registered
11,419 Posts
it shares the same rim size with the 30-06 and 270.
[actually i should say they share their size with it since the Mauser rounds come first]
i quite often use up any 270 brass i run across to make 7 and 8mm Mauser cases.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts

The naming of this cartridge is cultural and epoch dependent and hence not uniform around the world.

The 7.92×57mm Mauser cartridge is also known by the following designations:

• 7.9, 7.9mm[12]
  • 7.9 Mauser, 7.9mm Mauser
  • 7.92, 7.92mm
  • 7.92 Mauser, 7.92mm Mauser
  • Cartridge SA, 7.92
  • 7.92×57, 7.92×57mm
  • 7.92×57 Mauser, 7.92×57mm Mauser
  • 8mm Mauser
  • 8×57, 8×57mm
  • 8×57 Mauser, 8×57mm Mauser
  • 8 × 57 IS, 8 × 57 JS
Commonly the Mauser 98 rifles shoot what is labeled as 8mm Mauser or 8x57 Mauser

·
Registered
11,419 Posts
and Is and Js are the same thing, they both stand for infantry, the Germans just ain't good spellers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts