Questions

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by NASAman, Apr 29, 2008.

1. NASAman

NASAman Guest

I got a PA-63 from J&G last month and ordered the civilian version in 32 ACP last week. It came in and is pretty beat up. Rode hard and put up wet from the looks of it. The frame and base of the mag have a lot of dings in them but the barrel looks good, no pitting and still has rifling. I have detailed stripped the gun and cleaned up the frame and will bead blast it later this week. Most of the finish was worn off it. The sear retaining pins are very worn. Can anyone tell me if standard PA-63 parts will work in this gun?

2. MOCKBA

MOCKBA G&G Newbie

Probly, these things are all pretty much cast from the same mold. My PPH is the exact same thing as a PA 63 except my finish is all black, and im chambered for .380 acp. So the only real differences i can think of would be caliber and finish. It should be fine.

3. NASAman

NASAman Guest

Thats pretty much what I thought. I ordered some spare parts from buymilsurp. I'll let you all know how they fit. My main concern is the sear pins appeared to be badly worn where they engage the sear. The trigger is very mushy. so I hope new ones will help. I also ordered some of the bake-on teflon spray paint from Brownells. I'll sneak it in the oven while my wife is out shopping (grin).

4. NASAman

NASAman Guest

I got the spare parts from buymilsurp. Armed with my trusty caliper I compared the "new" parts with the old parts. The old sear pins measure .002 less in diameter that the new ones where they contact the sear. I compared the hole diameters with my PA-63 and they are all the same. The new sear pins fit fine. The pin holes in the new vs old sear measure the same but the old sear is worn from the hammer so I will put the new one in. None of the holes show elongation when measured with the caliper but the holes in the old sear visibly looks elongated. This is apparently from the sear twisting slightly when the trigger is pressed. I am installing the new sear and also got a new transfer bar. I should have it back together late next week.

5. NASAman

NASAman Guest

I don't know if anyone is reading this but I bead blasted the frame and some other small parts earlier this week and applied a bake on finish from Brownells. The bead blasting went well and the frame looked really good when I was done. I had an interesting development though. When I got ready to apply the finish I noticed what looked like a piece of tape protruding into the top of the magazine well. I went to remove it and it was not a piece of tape. It was a piece of the frame! The frame has a channel milled into it for the trigger bar to ride in and that channel goes over the mag well. I guess they cut this one a little too deep as the bead blaster blew out that section into the mag well. It was very thin. I went ahead and applied the finish and then just broke off the offending piece of metal. I reassembled the gun last night and it seems to function just fine. This small piece of metal does not seem to provide any structural support so I will shoot it this weekend.

6. NASAman

NASAman Guest

I took the gun to the range and it worked flawlessly. It is a great deal of fun to shoot and the .32 ACP has very little recoil.

I also took my PA-63 and was prepared for a lot of recoil. It was also easy to shoot. I had ordered the 13 LB recoil spring and a new hammer spring from BuyMilsurp.com and they certainly seemed to do the job. I'm a happy camper.