Quick ammo question: American Eagle

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Seven©, May 22, 2008.

1. Seven©

Seven© G&G Evangelist

WNC
    My job sent me to an area today that I don't often frequent. Naturally I asked the locals to point me towards a gun shop. I was browsing the .223 and the owner goes "If you're just looking for something to burn up, I got this." And he pulled out a case of American Eagle in black boxes like this ...

[​IMG]

I know AE is made by Federal. But, I've never seen a black box.

I came home and did a quick nets search and all I could come up with (as far as a review) was a single post from AR15.com:
    "This is believed to be the exact same as xm193 in the old school brown boxes."

The guy's price was $7.99/box. I'll be back in the area tomorrow. Is it good ammo? The price beats Wal-Marts $8.52 for Remington/UMC. Is it worth pulling out the credit card and stocking up?

Sorry for the ammo question here. I just figured I'd get better/faster responses than in the "ammo section."

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  2. I'd say buy. My rifle loves the stuff.

3. Seven©

Seven© G&G Evangelist

WNC
  4. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I currently have 1,000 rounds of the stuff. Its made by Lake City, the same people and place that makes all the US military ammo. Its pretty good.

I think that stuff might be the XM193C Its manufactured to US military specs. Someone on AR15.com or somewhere said that this stuff came from a 20, million round govt contract order that got FUBARed somewhere along the lines and was canceled. hence the C at the end. Ive never had a problem using it. I think its pretty good ammo.

5. at4rxj

at4rxj G&G Newbie

That is in fact XM193C

It's mil-spec, great for plinking, defense, hunting, etc...

That price is right in line with the going rate on the "good deals", but remember you'll be paying tax. I say get it

6. ghost_raven

ghost_raven G&G Evangelist

XM193 is usually military contract over-run, or it may be because of some slight cosmetic defects.

7. damage855

damage855 G&G Newbie

My bushmaster shoots it well.

8. fireguy86

fireguy86 Guest

I want to know which wal mart had remington for that price. My walmart has it for **** near $13 a box of 20. I might have to try some of this tactical stuff if I can find it.

9. ghost_raven

ghost_raven G&G Evangelist

At a nearby gun shop in walking distance from my apartment, they do sell the XM193 (in the black American Eagle box, and in Federal's... eh... plain brown wrapper... lol) stuff for $10 a box.

10. Rick150k

Rick150k Guest

It has been awhile and I am sure you have already got your AE ammo but here is a direct quote taken from.

(MidwayUSA - Federal American Eagle Ammunition 5.56x45mm (223 Remington) XM193 55 Grain Full Metal Jacket Boat Tail Box of 20)

I was under the impression that .223 and 5.56 was the same ammo, but after a LOT of research on the net and a few phone calls I found this not exactly true. So pay heed to the comments below.
    American Eagle is designed specifically for target shooting, training and practice. This ammunition is new production, non-corrosive, in boxer-primed, reloadable brass cases.

Important Notes about this Ammunition:

Although the 5.56 is interchangeable with the .223, SAAMI warns not to use 5.56 ammo inside of sporter .223 actions as it runs at higher pressures.

Technical Information:
    Muzzle Velocity: 3240 fps
    Muzzle Energy: 1282 ft. lbs.
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]