Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I had a quick question to ask.

Have anyone heard of a cylinder shoe? I've been looking up everywhere to describe this part, but have come up empty.
There is a Ruger revolver I have been looking at, and the ad says its missing its cylinder shoe.
What is that?

·
Firearm Affectionado
4,252 Posts

Have anyone heard of a cylinder shoe? I've been looking up everywhere to describe this part, but have come up empty.
There is a Ruger revolver I have been looking at, and the ad says its missing its cylinder shoe.
What is that?
Ask the person selling it. Perhaps they can send you a photo of the gun with it's missing shoe.

·
Registered
22,883 Posts

What is that?
I've heard people use every word EXCEPT the correct ones for the stop and hand/pawl. Maybe he means one of those? The only other thing I can think of is the knob on the end of the cylinder pin/arbor.

Unless you're talking one with a swing out cylinder? Then it could be anything from the yoke to the extractor.

Best bet, he means this:
Human body Basic pump Sandal High heels Human leg

·
Registered
693 Posts
Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

Aside from abuse and neglect, I don't see any obvious difference. (I did not unload before photographing, so the rims are visible). Regardless of whatever piece is missing, a replacement should be available. Looks like a nice project gun :)

·
Registered
22,883 Posts
Just farting around, I found an old article in one of my books that uses the term "shoe" , then it has a parts breakdown of a revolver with the stop circled. The article is a reproduction of one from the 1920s showing a parts breakdown of an H&R/Iver Johnson top break.

I was just guessing before based on all the erroneous things people have called the stop, but it looks like "shoe" may be an archaic alternate term for the cylinder stop. I can't find verification in my firearms dictionary, though.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Just farting around, I found an old article in one of my books that uses the term "shoe" , then it has a parts breakdown of a revolver with the stop circled. The article is a reproduction of one from the 1920s showing a parts breakdown of an H&R/Iver Johnson top break.

I was just guessing before based on all the erroneous things people have called the stop, but it looks like "shoe" may be an archaic alternate term for the cylinder stop. I can't find verification in my firearms dictionary, though.
Rectangle Font Human leg Automotive tire Flooring

Probably the pawl.

·
<------------<<<-
4,531 Posts
I think that could be a good buy, if you’re looking for either a project or a beater. Whatever part is missing, I’m sure it’s still made. It will just have to be fitted. Throw in some new springs, and you’re off to the races.

Reactions: neophyte

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you all for all your helpful tips on this. I had searched high and low to figure out on my own before asking on here. I'm still on the fence on getting this revolver, but at least I am better informed.

$375 + shipping-transfer fees-tax on top of it all rounds it out to closer to $500 bucks for a rusty fixer upper that I am not sure if I can find a good gunsmith in my area to tackle it.

But I thank you all for the help on identifying this weird term for the paw, boot, hand, etc. I learn something new every time I come on here.

·
Registered
693 Posts
snip
$375 + shipping-transfer fees-tax on top of it all rounds it out to closer to $500 bucks for a rusty fixer upper that I am not sure if I can find a good gunsmith in my area to tackle it.
snip
I know gun prices are crazy high, but that is beyond crazy!

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Thank you all for all your helpful tips on this. I had searched high and low to figure out on my own before asking on here. I'm still on the fence on getting this revolver, but at least I am better informed.

But I thank you all for the help on identifying this weird term for the paw, boot, hand, etc. I learn something new every time I come on here.
I really think that Security Six has way too many issues and I would pass on it, You have no clue what the cylinder gap is. You know it has been damaged to the point that it does not have a pawl, they do not just fall out, so it is likely it was shot a lot. The rust is pretty deep. It may have been in a house fire or something that could gave heated the frame. Guns recovered from house fires or flooded vehicles rust pretty quick. And sight unseen, yo have no clue how many internal parts are rusted to the point they need to be replaced.

The grips show a great deal of wear on the checkering so it has been carried in the weather a lot. I thinknyou can find a decent used Ruger for less without the risk. Anytime you buy a used gun you really need to see it in person, unless you have a right to return it for no reason. And, if it was easily fixable, the seller would do that.

I would pass. All you know for sure is that you are buying rusted parts.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts