Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2E88840A-DF97-4DE9-9325-9186C65FB225.jpeg
Coyotes weren’t cooperating this evening so broke out the trusty .22 and caught two rabbits for dinner later in the week. Either stew or fried. The girls will let me know.

·
Registered
11,104 Posts
that the marlin 25?

I got on a pair of yotes this morning during the elk hunt.
I tracked them through the snow for quite a while but the wind wouldn't cooperate and all I had was a mouth call with me.

I tried circling around to try and get a ridge ahead of them but then lost their tracks up in some pine tree's so I doubt they ever heard me squealing.
oh well,, it was a lot more fun than burning my retina's out looking through the Bino's for another hour.

·
Registered
8,263 Posts
20160724_195241.jpg 20160724_201145.jpg
View attachment 129620 Coyotes weren’t cooperating this evening so broke out the trusty .22 and caught two rabbits for dinner later in the week. Either stew or fried. The girls will let me know.
Try boiled . Debone . In a rectangular pan pour enough red enchalada sauce to cover the pan bottom . Load a flour tortilla with rabbit meat , diced onion, a few kernels of canned sweet corn , a dab refried beans , and some taco blend cheese . Roll up the enchalada and place on pan bottom . Repeat until you can't fit any more in the pan . Put the rest of the red sauce over the top of the enchalada .
Add some cheese mix to the top . Bake about 15-20 minutes at 350 . Enjoy.

Just a thought. I have done this with home grown bunnies. You can also use a pack of taco seasoning with the meat in a skillet . Your choice. I've done it both ways . I enjoy either. Oh yeah, serve with lettuce and a blob of sour cream.

·
Premium Member
23,956 Posts
Good job Tom. Some of my favorite childhood memories are about accompanying my dad, a beagle, and a 16 gauge LC Smith on a rabbit hunt. Dad really enjoyed listening to a dog doing their job as much as he enjoyed harvesting a few bunnies...

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
I love rabbit. Broiled, fried, roasted, you name it. We used to have a Bohemian restaurant here in Omaha called the Bohemian Cafe. They served the best Hasenpheffer (braised rabbit) I've ever had. Enjoy those bunnies.

·
Premium Member
18,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that the marlin 25?

I got on a pair of yotes this morning during the elk hunt.
I tracked them through the snow for quite a while but the wind wouldn't cooperate and all I had was a mouth call with me.

I tried circling around to try and get a ridge ahead of them but then lost their tracks up in some pine tree's so I doubt they ever heard me squealing.
oh well,, it was a lot more fun than burning my retina's out looking through the Bino's for another hour.
Yep. Good eye. Marlin 25.

·
Premium Member
9,509 Posts
Good shooting on those bunnies Tom. I have not rabbit hunted for years. I used to hunt with a group and one guy had rabbit dogs. Nothing like letting the dogs run them and bring the rabbits back. I used to hunt them with my dad when young. Dad would either make rabbit stew after boiling the rabbits for hours and picking the meat off. Many times we had rabbit pot pie. Was the stew poured in large rectangular baking pan and covering with thick home made crust and baked. I like the Marlin 25. That was my two older sons first 22 rifles and they still have them. Ii have a few also and have the 25M also which is the magnum model. Hope you still get some yotes

1 - 10 of 10 Posts