Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,752 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,510 Posts
Broke out my hundred year old rabbit gun. The girls want some rabbit stew. Got five this week so should make a pot this next week. View attachment 154388
Damn Tom you did get some bunnies. My father used to make some of the best Rabbit stew when I was a little guy. He then poured it into large square metal pans and covered with home made crust. Best Pot Pie I remember. Tom that looks like two of my shotguns. Looks like a Iver Johnson Champion model. I have one in 12 and 16 gauge. Both still work

·
Registered
15,319 Posts
Broke out my hundred year old rabbit gun. The girls want some rabbit stew. Got five this week so should make a pot this next week. View attachment 154388
It looks like your finding the new environment friendly. If you par boil and then fry those rascals, with some gravey, yum, yum.

·
Wonderment :)
32,909 Posts
Rambo: Sir; NC HAS an issue. Sadly

Wildlife Commission Seeking Public's Help to Monitor for Lethal Rabbit Disease

Wildlife Commission biologists are asking the public to help them monitor the potential spread of a deadly rabbit disease, which has not yet been observed in North Carolina’s rabbit populations, by reporting any sightings of dead rabbits to the agency. Rabbit Hemorrhagic Disease Virus Serotype 2 (RHDV2) is a fatal disease, affecting both domestic and wild rabbits, with no cure for wild rabbits and a vaccine for domestic rabbits that is not readily available in the United States. Anyone who finds a dead rabbit where the death is not readily apparent or rabbits with blood around their nose, mouth or rectum are asked to call the agency's Wildlife Helpline, 866-318-2401, or email. The agency will rely on reports of rabbit mortalities to document the disease's occurrence and potential spread in the state. MO

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
That's a nice brace of rabbits there Rambo. And that 100 YO shotgun looks to be in excellent shape. Very nice on both.

neophyte - even the wildlife is suffering from some kind of pandemic. Pale horse? Maybe.

·
Wonderment :)
32,909 Posts
Junction15: Sir; as I’ve read

Commission biologists are working with the N.C. Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (NCDA&CS) to monitor the spread and impacts of Rabbit Hemorrhagic Disease Virus Serotype 2 (RHDV2), a fatal disease that affects both domestic and wild rabbit populations. RHDV2 is extremely lethal. There is no cure for wild rabbits and a vaccine for domestic rabbits is not readily available in the United States. RHDV2 is classified as a foreign animal disease in the United States and currently, is primarily found in southwestern United States. People can spread the virus indirectly by carrying it on their clothing and shoes, but RHDV2 does not impact human health.

While RHDV2 has not been observed in North Carolina’s rabbit populations yet, agency biologists are asking the public and hunters to report any sightings of one or more dead wild rabbits where the death is not readily apparent or those found with blood around their nose, mouth or rectum. Anyone who finds a dead rabbit should refrain from touching it unless necessary and call the Commission’s Wildlife Helpline 866-318-2401, or email, [email protected]. The Commission will rely on reports of rabbit mortalities to document the disease’s occurrence and potential spread in North Carolina.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts