Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
If I understand what you're saying, you wore the race right through to the spindle? If so, It's time to replace the axle. Otherwise, you need to replace the races, bearings, and seals, and call it a day.

Of course if you're a first rate tinkerer, you could build the spindle back up with a welder, then grind it down to fit the race. First rate farm fix right there.

God, Guns, Glory
It sounds like you either have to tap out the old race and replace it, or get a new hub.
(The new name for a bearing "race", is now called a cup.)
If your spindle is out of round, you will have to have a new spindle installed.

God, Guns, Glory
BTW
Welcome to G&G from Alaska.
Stop by the Introduction thread, and say hello.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I understand what you're saying, you wore the race right through to the spindle? If so, It's time to replace the axle. Otherwise, you need to replace the races, bearings, and seals, and call it a day.

Of course if you're a first rate tinkerer, you could build the spindle back up with a welder, then grind it down to fit the race. First rate farm fix right there.
I got the old race out. Everything is in pretty good shape, it seems. It just seems that the shoulder ledge that is spot welded in must have, at one time, supported a much thinner bearing. This must be so due to the fact that when I install the race it bottoms out atthat shoulder and the top is almost flush with the top of the hub!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It sounds like you either have to tap out the old race and replace it, or get a new hub.
(The new name for a bearing "race", is now called a cup.)
If your spindle is out of round, you will have to have a new spindle installed.
There is no old race in the hub. (Note the comment above)

Premium Member
I am not sure what area you live but you can get the whole spindles with race, bearings and seal rather cheap. Harbor freight, Northern tools, and other places online have them very reasonable. Its a pain sometimes to press a new race in or spindle worn and race wont snug fit.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BTW
Welcome to G&G from Alaska.
Stop by the Introduction thread, and say hello.

No, the whole unit is fine. Everything fits tight when on, I just cannot attach the grease seal on the inside bearing. That side of the hub was not worn down at all.

God, Guns, Glory
I repaired trailers for customers for many years. I always use a block of wood and hammer, for seating the seals flush. IF the seal wont seat due to the seating of the bearing and cup. Just replace the whole axle hub. They come with pressed races, bearings, grease seal and cap for under $30.00.
******* Trailer Supplies has been a excellent outfit, for ordering parts from. They have shipped me everything from small orders, up to pallets of leave springs and axles.
https://shop.*******-trailer.com/c-114-hubs-drums.aspx

Wonderment :)
Dean Harris: Sir; pondering on my end. Do you have the old parts!
Did you match old with new numbers (on the races and bearings)
Unknown?
Take the other side off? And compare
Timkim has some unusual race-bearing combinations:)

Do follow up when you can :)

Firearm Affectionado
Just a little trick I learned in the navy for changing aircraft wheel races. Freeze the new race and heat up the wheel a little. Probably not necessary with auto and trailer wheels. But if you get a stubborn one it may help.

Premium Member
No, the whole unit is fine. Everything fits tight when on, I just cannot attach the grease seal on the inside bearing. That side of the hub was not worn down at all.
If all is okay but the seal doesn't fit you probably have the wrong seal.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If all is okay but the seal doesn't fit you probably have the wrong seal.
That's why I took it back to Napa. They said it was the right one. The problem is, the bearing and race are bottomed out and flush with the top of the hub so there's no room for the seal to be seated into.

Registered
Make sure that the cup has been driven all the way to the stop , not just flush with the top of the bore . Look inside from the opposite side and see that the cup has been driven all the way to the stop lip . If not tight against the stop you have not driven the cup in far enough. Get the hammer and punch back out.

Wonderment :)
Dean Harris: interesting and must be frustrating.
Something is messed up (obvious)
Assuming your parts man is correct
I'd pull the other wheel and investigating compare

Many races are numbered stamped-bearings-seals too
My curiosity would take over as I'm sure yours has

Do follow up. Interesting plight!

Registered
That's why I took it back to Napa. They said it was the right one. The problem is, the bearing and race are bottomed out and flush with the top of the hub so there's no room for the seal to be seated into.
Sounds to me like you have the wrong bearing, your bearing & race are to wide !............

1 - 20 of 24 Posts