close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Racist allegations

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Klaus, May 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

I saw no racial slurs in the B...S... thread except possibly for 1 post making a reference to "Wetback". That term is not a RACIAL slur. It refers to a type of criminal, and makes no reference to race. Our southern border needs to be secured and anyone INVADING the US and attacking Americans and legal residents needs to by dealt with promptly and efficiently, regardless of their race, language, or nationality.

Last edited: May 24, 2002
  2. Well F***ing said!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm with you on that one Klaus!
    -Jesse

3. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

I'll go with Klaus on this as well....I find it funny that we are so politicaly correct that we can go to war aginst people but the use of slang is prohibited.

4. Oneshot

Oneshot G&G Newbie

Agreed!!!

Oneshot

5. Armorer

Armorer Guest

Wet Back IS a slur, refered to Mexicans who come across the Rio Grande.

6. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

Well Said Klaus

7. TKH

TKH G&G Newbie

If you say "wetback" and you don't mean to offend a person of Hispanic origin, do you change your behavior if you find out otherwise? If you find out you are offending them by the use of that statement (regardless of your intent) do you stop using that phrase?

Here is where I'm coming from:
    The town just to the South of where I live has the Indian as a mascot for their high school. They're called the "Reds". They chose the mascot as a tribute to the warrior image and bravery of the Indian. They meant it as an honor and a tribute and something for their athletic teams to strive for. Be tough, be a warrior, etc.

Well, the American Indian Movement doesn't see it that way. They think the caracature portrayed by the mascot is degrading, as is the use of the term "Reds". While there was no demeaning or derogatory intent, the Indians don't see it that way.

They staged a protest and marched through the town on the day of Graduation. Their march ended in a rally in the city park, just adjacent to the high-school stadium. They contend the mascot is an insult to their culture and should be changed.

The school board, upset about their timing for one thing, decided that the mascot will not be changed. Addressing issues of cost, (uniforms, banners, etc.) they said no disrespect was intended, so you shouldn't take it that way.

As a mildly interested observer (assigned to protect the security of the Indian protestors) I honestly can't say where I stand on the issue. If I say something with no disrespect intended, and you are offended, should I change what I say?

8. Hans R Colt

Hans R Colt G&G Newbie

I would like to point out that the term "wetback" comes from the Mexican term, "mojado," which means wet. The origin of the term comes from the Mexican people themselves...why would that be "racist" if the words come from the very people it describes?

To be honest, I believe it denotes a type of "classism," because the term was coined by people in Mexico who look down upon those who cross the border illegally to make a living in the U.S., the same people who probably are better off economically than the "mojados."

9. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

Like I said, it refers to a CRIMINALS, not a race. It refers to people who illegally enter the US by crossing the Rio Grande. It does not refer to Mexicans in general. In fact, they don't even have to be Mexicans. AS far as being offended, tough. Some people seem to make careers of being offended by everything. There is a racial group in the US whose members seem to change their minds about every 10 years about what they want to be called, claiming the previous name they insisted on was derogatory. I was a German citizen and it does not bother me at all if people try to call me kraut or jerry or whatever. If they are obviously trying to insult me, I simply consider the source. The one name I won't stand for is NAZI, because I am strongly opposed to that left wing movement and all similar ones.

10. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

WOW WE GOT PC'S EVEN ON THIS SIGHT,WONDER HOW MANY DEMS ARE OUT HERE TO?

11. Hans R Colt

Hans R Colt G&G Newbie

We're just keeping you on your toes, NRAJOE! You gotta brush up on your doublespeak!

12. NRAJOE

IF I HAD KNOWN THAT YOU KNEW WHAT I KNEW WHEN I KNOWN IT, THEN YOU WOULD HAVE KNOWN THAT I KNEW THAT YOU KNEW...???

13. Hans R Colt

Hans R Colt G&G Newbie

Had I known that you'd have known without me knowing about it, would I know what I know now? Well...No!

Okay, that's enough doublespeak! Now, back to the topic...

14. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

the posts about prison tower type installations along with the racial slur (w*tback is considered a slur by the vast majority of society...deal with it) reflect poorly on us as gun owners. I won't tolerate it. Those kinds of posts will not win us allies who are "sitting on the fence" of the 2nd Amendment issue.

15. hahahahahahaahahah good one NRAJOE!!:cheer:
    -Jesse

16. NRAJOE

THANK YOU, THANK YOU...

17. yes, but do we really want those allies?
    i mean the ones on the fence usually are swayed easily back and forth and thus are of no use to us, who hold firm to our convictions no matter what anyone else thinks, and no matter what the cost.
    -Jesse

18. Hans R Colt

Hans R Colt G&G Newbie

logansdad, I agree that the prison style border does nothing to promote our point of view, but what can you suggest as a viable alternative? We're just venting our concerns that two groups of people are subverting the dream of a free America....the illegals who come here and take advantage of American goodwill, and the greedy Americans who hire them just to make a buck! And what of our border patrol agents being shot at by Mexican military personnel, aren't they important, too? Is their safety not a concern?

I don't condone the use of the term "wb" either; we should hold ourselves to a higher standard. It is a slur, but to me not a racial slur. It doesn't make it any better, but you can't deny where that word came from...just point your ear southward.

19. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

I know that we are not winning at the polls..an awful lot of people hate an organization I am proud to be a member of...the NRA. My father in law says it's full of old racists. I took him to a gunshow where one vender had Nazi and KKK memorabilia for sale openly. How do I tell him or others I don't know that that should not reflect on me individually ?.
    My grandchildren most likely will not be able to own guns. We need all the friends we can get.

20. NRAJOE

AMEN JESSE, I HATE FENCE SITTERS WHO WON'T JUMP IN THE RING UNTIL THEY CAN SEE WHO THEY THINK WILL BE THE CLEAR WINNER THEN SAY "HEY I WAS WITH YA ALL THE TIME". I KNOW PEOPLE LIKE THAT AND THEY MAKE ME WANT TO PROJECTILE VOMIT!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.