Gun and Game Forum banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Nice and Congratulations! I've always had a soft spot for 22 Mag... Guess that goes back to my youth where that was a "Serious" Ground Hog Rifle! LOL. And Henry's are Solid and Fun. A few years ago when my Son picked out his first .22 rifle I was surprised that he picked out a Henry (was thinking he would go for a 10/22 or something military looking), they are well built and there's definitely something that just feels good about racking a lever!

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thanks @EtherialOne
Sorry I missed your post.

So, took the Henry to the range today. I have some large round cardboard pieces, put one of those orange dot stickers and stuck it on the 50 yard berm.

Using Armscor 40 gn JHP 1850 FPS I was about 10-12” low. I went a notch up the ladder and re checked. In short, to get zeroed at 50 yards, I’m at the max of the rear sight adjustment.

I’ll go ahead and say what a lot are probly thinking. AMMO. Yes, I need to try some of the different stuff I have. I’m also a little left and wanted to wait until I tried some other stuff before tapping the sight over a bit.

I’m just a bit taken aback I’m that far up the ladder. Oh yeah, the orange dot was one of the 2” types and I could actually see it well enough for a 6 o’clock hold.

I’m pretty happy with the gun overall. I’m not ruling out a scope, ugh, on a lever gun, well see. Right now I’m real close to minute of coyote at 50 yards. I think squirrels noggins are gonna need glass. But I have a nice 10-22 for that. Well yeah, most likely a shotgun lol.

Let me know if any questions if interested. I’ll answer beast as I can.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
My gun range club raffles off a firearm every month at our meetings. I have won three so far, a Glock 27, a Rock Island Armory 1911 & a Kahr CW9. It's good to win but it is more important to support the organisation.
Jerry congrats on you win & thank you for your support.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
My gun range club raffles off a firearm every month at our meetings. I have won three so far, a Glock 27, a Rock Island Armory 1911 & a Kahr CW9. It's good to win but it is more important to support the organisation.
Jerry congrats on you win & thank you for your support.
Thanks Sir
This raffle was for Central IL Riding Therapy. They put people with disabilities on horses.
https://www.beautynailhairsalons.com/US/East-Peoria/111473575565237/Central-Illinois-Riding-Therapy

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game mobile app

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
My Marlin 783 shoots less than half inch groups at 50 yards if I do my part with Winchester HP ammo. Those for some reason shoot the best for me in whatever I shoot them in. Dad however with his T\C Contender does the best with CCI Maxi Mag HP ammo with 40 grain bullets. The barrel on the Contender is 10 inches

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
My Marlin 783 shoots less than half inch groups at 50 yards if I do my part with Winchester HP ammo. Those for some reason shoot the best for me in whatever I shoot them in. Dad however with his T\C Contender does the best with CCI Maxi Mag HP ammo with 40 grain bullets. The barrel on the Contender is 10 inches
Is that group with irons? I’m a believer in ammo differences for sure. I have some Winchester to try as well.

The groups that were initially low were about 2-3” or so roughly. When I got the point of impact / zero thing worked out, the group opened up considerably. I think at that point I was pretty much just slinging lead.

I love irons, but have a hard time remembering hold off for each gun for best accuracy with ladder, semi, buckhorn type sights. A nice adjustable peep is a different story though. Way more workable

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
Is that group with irons? I’m a believer in ammo differences for sure. I have some Winchester to try as well.

The groups that were initially low were about 2-3” or so roughly. When I got the point of impact / zero thing worked out, the group opened up considerably. I think at that point I was pretty much just slinging lead.

I love irons, but have a hard time remembering hold off for each gun for best accuracy with ladder, semi, buckhorn type sights. A nice adjustable peep is a different story though. Way more workable

As much as I would like to be able to say that was with iron sights, I have to say the rifle is scoped

·
Registered
11,279 Posts
the good news is you generally have to take some off the front sight when you put a skinner on, with yours shooting so low that might not be needed.

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
I think there’s an unwritten rule somewhere about putting a scope on a lever action. Verboten.

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
I think there’s an unwritten rule somewhere about putting a scope on a lever action. Verboten.

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game
If I ever put one on, it would be on this .22 WMR. I’d just have to find something to like about it, lol. I can get pretty darn precise with the ‘92 and ‘95 (both have a peep)

I’m intrigued by Runfive’s theory that the front sight may be good to go with a peep. Skinner is careful and honest about saying maybe, maybe not.

In my opinion, the factory sight is too thick and could use a dab of paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game mobile app View attachment 126060

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
If I ever put one on, it would be on this .22 WMR. I’d just have to find something to like about it, lol. I can get pretty darn precise with the ‘92 and ‘95 (both have a peep)

I’m intrigued by Runfive’s theory that the front sight may be good to go with a peep. Skinner is careful and honest about saying maybe, maybe not.

In my opinion, the factory sight is too thick and could use a dab of paint.
Personally, I'd look to see if a tang mounted peep might look nice. I've always thought a peep was the better way to go unless you need to snap off shots fast.....at what?? And a tang mount that fits with a lever gun makes a pretty sexy combo.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1005888986

My own experience making front sights smaller has been unsatisfactory. I'd just replace it if I didn't come to like it. But maybe you're handier than me with metal work.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Personally, I'd look to see if a tang mounted peep might look nice. I've always thought a peep was the better way to go unless you need to snap off shots fast.....at what?? And a tang mount that fits with a lever gun makes a pretty sexy combo.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1005888986

My own experience making front sights smaller has been unsatisfactory. I'd just replace it if I didn't come to like it. But maybe you're handier than me with metal work.
Thanks, I have a Marbels tang sight on my 1892 rossi .357 and it made a dramatic improvement over the buck horn rear. I agree I think I can learn to live with the front sight. I’ve only taken a file to a sight once, just on top of my MKII ruger. I do like the clean lines of the skinner stuff. Been looking for an opportunity to use one.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts