Gun and Game Forum banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
never heard a complaint about their quality.
you can always use a front sight that takes inserts too.
I have shot a peep rear and hooded front sight with inserts and really liked a couple of the combinations.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Ok, for the few stragglers following this, like its the big thing in the world for me right now, ha ha ha.

Ahem, I know its blasphemy, but chucked a scope on the rifle today.

Whoa! Easy now. I know I made a commitment to work with the irons. I am still going to do that. I’m getting closer now.

I had the scope. This is my door knob scope (every gun has had a turn) I know, that’s bad. Anyhoo, it’s already paid for and has worked on everything I’ve put it on so far. It’s a Marlin marked 3x9 x 32 with made in Chicom on the bottom. I got the rings at Bass Pro for $3.22 after Mil discount and a few bucks worth of points on the card.

I eventually want to see what the accuracy potential is, the scope will help the old eyes cheat that a bit and instill a bit of confidence.

A skinner is still a possibility. This little experiment only cost $3.22 so off I roll. More to come.

IMG_4473.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game mobile app

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Looks pretty good, maybe another type of ammo will do better
Thanks
Ammo and a good amount of trigger time. Trigger isn’t horrible, but there is a good bit of down and dirty grit initially. Hopefully will work out in a couple hundred pulls. I’m admittedly not a great bench rest shooter as well ;)

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
Thanks
Ammo and a good amount of trigger time. Trigger isn’t horrible, but there is a good bit of down and dirty grit initially. Hopefully will work out in a couple hundred pulls. I’m admittedly not a great bench rest shooter as well ;)

You could try square targets and shoot at the corners, it's easier to hold the same place that way

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Two things.
First, I have the skinner Alaskan sight along with a beaded front sight on my Henry chambered in .45/70. It’s a nice setup. The factory sights it came with were basically unusable at 100 yards.

Second, I would never admit to having a scope on an old .22 mag lever gun... but I do and it made it an accurate rifle thats much more fun to shoot than it was.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Two things.
First, I have the skinner Alaskan sight along with a beaded front sight on my Henry chambered in .45/70. It’s a nice setup. The factory sights it came with were basically unusable at 100 yards.

Second, I would never admit to having a scope on an old .22 mag lever gun... but I do and it made it an accurate rifle thats much more fun to shoot than it was.
I feel the same way prettt much with the scope on the .22 mag. However, there is a legit difference between a squirrels head and the paper plate size heart lung area of a deer.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
I'm thinking about a scope for my Henry 22LR and my Henry 41 magnum too.
I’m torn on the scope issue. The running coyote and one rabbit that made it to the corn revealed the scope was pretty useless. I didn’t see a squirrel all day which it may have helped.

·
Premium Member
4,678 Posts
Beautiful rifle....

Reactions: ChaZam and neophyte
41 - 60 of 66 Posts