close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Raining Cats and Dogs.

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by alan c., Aug 15, 2002.

1. Where did that saying come from anyway? I am glad I am off work today. We are under a flash flood warning for most of the day. I can't mow the yard--darn it. I can't run errands for wifey because the streets are flooded--darn it. I know let's play on the computer and bore everyone with my nonsense. See Oxford I am capable of typing more than just a few words.:nod: 1 * I was typing this post when I got your message. You must be watching the weather. It's been raining on and off for the last few days, but not as bad as today. Oh well it will give me a good excuse to do nothing. I didn't realise I was in the humor forum.:confused:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2002
  2. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

It poured like crazy here in the big Oh. last night. Really needed it, the corns looking a little small this year.

3. We have been under a flash flood watch since early this morning and has been extended untill midnight. This remindes me of last years Allison. That was a brutal day at work. Over 4 inches so far today. And expecting 1 to 3 inches more by midnight.

4. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

The expression came from heavy rain flushing stray cats and dogs out of their hiding places. So, after a real big downpour, the streets would be full of soggy cats and dogs. BTW, the rain did not bother me much; I rode my BMW R80RT today. Motorcycles are much better than cars in flooding, mostly due to the waterproof ignition system.

5. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Klause: What about the problem of hydroplaning of two tires versus four? I'd rather be in my SUV locked in 4 wheel drive keeping dry. (ha)
    Oxford

6. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

Hydroplaning is ALWAYS caused by driver error. If you slow down, you will not hydroplane. I have seen many 4x4s stuck in high water. With a bike, you can aim for the shallowest part. It is also easy to do U-turns or ride up embankments if the water is really too deep.

7. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

It seems to me that water on the road, between your tires and the pavement, has something to do with hydroplaning.

Certainly, driving slow makes a lot of difference. Yes, I've heard that drivers of 4X4's think they can drive anywhere and obviously, "that ain't so".

Good luck with your driving in the rain and watch out for chuck holes filled with water.

8. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Having sunk my 4X4 once, I can agree that all 4-wheel drive does is allow the untrained to get more deeply stuck further from help. It certainly isn't "go anywhere".
    I've been seeing the flooding in Germany on the news. I've always thought the German towns among the most beautiful and picturesqe in Europe. One report said they're getting the worst floods since the 1840's. Having some German ancestry on my mother's side of the family, I'm sorry to see them going through this.

9. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

Yes Oxford, hydroplaning is when there is a layor of water between the tire and the road. It is caused by people driving through puddles too fast for their tire treads to shunt the water aside. It is always possible to avoid hydroplaning by slowing down enough, even if you have slicks.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2002
  10. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

You've got to be kidding!

Klaus:

You've got to be kidding! Me slow down? I'm already driving so slow that you need to drive stakes along the road to tell if I'm moving. (ha)

Actually, in good weather I usually drive about 62 mph in a 55 zone, 32 mph in a 25, and 78 mph+ in a 70 mph zone with adjustments downward depending upon weather and traffic conditions.

Now if traffic is moving faster or slower than these speeds I'll adjust my speed to coincide with theirs. Don't like to be out of sync because I believe it's safer to go with the flow.

Of course, in heavy downpours I'll really slow down because of the risk of hydroplaning and road slickness due to oil which has risen to the surface of asphalt.

To be quite frank, years ago I used to teach drivers education to jr & sr high school students and also through a community education program. Had lots of interesting tales about some of the students attempts at learning to drive.

The hardest person I had to teach to drive was my (at that time) future mother-in-law. She was about 55 yrs old all of her family had given up in their attempts with her. Finally, after about two months, I was able to get her trained well enough for her to pass the examiners tests.

Years later, when I was a H.S. teacher, I had a summer job with a factory here in town delivering new trucks all over the country. That gave me lots of driving stories to tell, too, but I won't go into them.

Oxford:nod:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2002
  11. Cats and Dogs--Thanks Klaus I should have known that.

12. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Alan: I've been thinking about Klaus's explanation of the term "raining cats and dogs".

Wouldn't birds look at downpours as "raining worms and bugs". (ha)