Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I broke down and built a raised bed our of cinder blocks stacked 2 high, 14 long and 4 wide. It's pretty big, but this is all I have for my complete garden. Got onions, tomatoes, peas, green beans, squash, zuchini, cucumber, peppers and jalapenos. Excited to see how it goes, but am a bit concerned with my quantity of sun throughout the day. I know I only need 6 hours, but not sure I'm getting that and if so, it probably 3 in the morning, half to an hour a couple times through the day and then maybe a couple more in the afternoon. We will see! Pics to follow!

Registered
i just hauled 15+ yards of dirt around back to fill the new beds.
i say 15+ because i measured out 12 for the 3 new raised beds, one for the rail road tie bed and another one for the other rail road tie bed, plus the higher raised portion inside it.
that makes 14.
then i filled a 3x3x4' box
that's 15.
then a half yard over to the G-boy and built him a big dirt box.
which left me enough to mix in with the dirt in another box i already built, fill up a 3x3x3 box, and dump a 2' high 8' long 3' wide pile where next springs box will go, plus the little here and there loads i dumped around the yard.
i calculated it out to 18.5 yds. when it was all said and done not counting the 4"s i left out front to level off where the rocks are gonna go next spring.

i guess that's what happens when you measure by the bucket full and not by weight.

Registered
and you can inter mix different stuff.
in one 8' box i have garlic, spinach, a few onions, a couple of cauliflower, and some purple spinach like plant Littlegirl gave me seeds for.

i will go through and inter-plant stuff like a row of carrots, or Beets in between the Pea's or broccoli if i don't crowd them in too tight.

you can get a lot of stuff in a small space if you play to the Sun's direction and think about above versus below ground.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts