Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My M1 Garand has oft been left at home when the AKs go to the range, and now that it has been eclipsed as my most expensive gun by my AR-15, it's been feeling kind of lonesome.

So I made sure to give it a good firing when I went to GunGeek's today. It was my tightest group fired using open sites, all into a groundhog sized area on the target. Not the tightest group I ever shot out of it, but it was enough to be happy about. Later, we took some steel cored rounds and shot a snowplower blade. Not every shot penetrated, probably due to variations in the plate, but the sparks did fly, and there were a couple holes straight through. One shot hit near the edge of a tab, and blew it clear off (this blade was 3/4 to an inch thick!)

Now for the bad news. It failed to feed on each clip at least once. I mean it cycled over the rounds below and didn't raise them up high enough. Suppose it could be some sort of magazine spring issue? I doubt it was short cycling, because it did this with any ammo fed to it, not apparently due to underpowered rounds.

The action did have to be slammed home on the first round of every clip, but I'm told that's normal.

Any ideas on how to improve its function?

·
Registered
8,921 Posts
BRG you do know that you have to grease up a garand and not oil it. I have read in the CMP forum that this is common if you don;t have enough grease. I have never seen this happen on my SA Dane VAR

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alrighty, I'm all ears. How do I grease it and what do I use?

thanks

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
you can get pots of GI grease, its a small tin with the right stuff, Lubriplate available from automotive stores works good too.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
the short and sweet of it is anyplace you see any wear in the parkerizing gets a thin coating of grease.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,501 Posts
:) Yep, "real steel" guns like grease! Especially when they have some park inside the action. Found that out when my buddy got his Garand, and with both out M1 Carbines. Those little grease pots sold by the gross are called "Garand Grease". :cool:

"If it's supposed to move - grease it. If it's not supposed to move - lock-tite it!"

·
Registered
96 Posts
You dont just have to use those little grease pots.... Take a trip down to the local NAPA auto parts store and get a tub of high temprature wheel bearing grease. It does not melt away when the weapon gets hot or gum up when cold. And it also wont separate then left for long periods of time in varying tempratures.
I was reccomended this by a WWII vet armorer at a garand shoot back in 1984 when I got my first M-1 and had him show me how to tear it down and all the little tricks of taking care of it and making sure it had a long life.
Basically if it has a bolt groove on the receiver for the bolt or the op rod slide in and on the receiver it needs grease. Also dont forget the little channel where the bolt lug sits in the op rod. And in the heel of the receiver where the bolt slides back when cycling, this works like a slight buffer and helps to keep the bolt from slamming back and damaging the heel of the receiver. It is like they said if there is wear in the parkerizing and it moves grease it, and both you and your garand will have a long and happy life together....
Hope this is some help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts