Range report.

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Sins-of-Mosin, May 2, 2008.

1. Sins-of-Mosin

Sins-of-Mosin Guest

First off, let me say that I have not fired a gun of any kind in over three years. I couldn't remember the last time I zero'd in my AK so I decided to take it out tonight and do a quick test. This is with irons and yes I started up pretty close. I like to work my way out.

The first picture is 10 yards and used Golden Bear and Golden Tiger. First three shots were low so I put the rear sight up a notch. I believe I have a tendency to shoot low as you can see I stayed just below the center ring. I was still thrilled as hell that I was keeping it very close.

The second picture is at 15 yards and jused only Golden Tiger. I didn't adjust anything and I got better at my breathing. As you can see, I did get a few in that center ring.

The last picture which is a tad fuzzy (sorry) is a game I like to play of putting rounds into the black circles. Again at 15 yards and Golden Tiger. The first shot I don't know what happened, I think I wasn't firmly holding the rifle and it bucked. For some odd twist, the last round landed right next to it. I was glad to hit the circles for the most part. Next time I will hit them all in the black. After I get this one down, I got a target with nine smaller circles!

I packed up after that with a great feeling. I know that I have to do most of the adjusting and let the rifle do it's job. I tell you, after smelling that first round, such a thrill to finally be back doing what I love. I hope to move out to 50 yards but since my eyes aren't the best, I probably stay around 20-30.

Attached Files:

2. jmp8927

jmp8927 G&G Evangelist

My eyes aren't that great either and I've found that 50 yards isn't so bad so long as the bulls eye is about 2 inches in diameter. I want to try my SKS at 200 yards one of these years with a body-sized target and see how accurate it would be at that distance...

3. Good shooting, but with a rifle, you got to at least get in the habit of shooting 50 yds. But that's my opinion. I hope you get the chance to work your way out to that distance and get to be a crack shot at it.

Personally, I hope to get to be a decent shot at 100yds with a rifle.

Again, overall, not bad shooting.

And JMP, I'm right there with you in the SKS @ 200yds. The killer for me, is a range that big. lol

4. Sins-of-Mosin

Sins-of-Mosin Guest

I'll keep on working on it. Going out tomorrow with the Mosin and will repeat what I did for the AK. Hope to have both of them at 50 yards by the end of May. Thanks for the kind words.

5. I started out shooting at 50 yards. You should at least try it. You might surprise yourself.

6. AnaxImperator

AnaxImperator Guest

My eyes are pretty horrible uncorrected, and it is occasionally still difficult to shoot accurately with my perscription glasses. So I picked up an AmeriMark clip-on pinhole glasses. These really do work well by making it easier for the eye to focus on open iron sights. Instead of having to fuss around with adjusting a standard aperture lens (which usually attach to shooting lenses with a suction-cup), the many holes on the AmeriMark glasses allow the eyes to naturally pick the correct aperture.

They're not allowed during my Army rifle qualifications, but for my recreational range time I picked up a set. They go for $20.
    [​IMG]

After starting to use these, I found that my eyes suffered much less strain and my accuracy improved by a significant amount, especially on my pistols & rifles with hard-to-see sight blades. If I was having problems grouping at 100m (109.36yds), by using these I'd be able to stretch out the distance by another 50m and still shoot good groups. I've never zero'ed or record grouped at less than 300m (on milspec 25/300m zero targets).

The only downside to them is that they reduce available light to the eyes, and they're not rated as safety glasses.
    Therefore, the clip-on version would be preferrable as they could be attached to a set of regular safety shades.

[​IMG]

7. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Jst keep shootin! Practice makes perfect don't ya know!

8. It also makes for an empty bank account!
    Maybe this is why the wife hid the checkbook and took away my credit card?

9. AnaxImperator

AnaxImperator Guest

+7! :D

10. Hahn

Hahn Guest

Those glasses remind me of those phony adds about X-Ray glasses where you can see threw girls close.....you "deviated prevert" ..lol j/k . famous line from Dr.Strangelove my favorite movie.

11. tbonecpk

tbonecpk Guest

+8

12. +9 lol

13. Sins-of-Mosin

Sins-of-Mosin Guest

I got plenty of ammo for my ak so no worry there. :D

14. AnaxImperator

AnaxImperator Guest

I thought the same thing.... 2k rounds doesn't last long at all! :bigeyes: