close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Range Results...

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Calvin, Jun 11, 2002.

1. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Man, did this rifle really shoot!! I shot a bunch of 5 shot groups, and the best group was at 300 yards. It shot 5 shots into a 2 1/2" circle with a hot barrel. My friends were awestruck! One of them tried to better it with his original Mosin sniper rifle, but the best he got was 3 5/8" with his handloads. I really wish I had a scanner, because this is one of those Kodak moments. I shot it out to 400 yards and got a 5" group.
    All strings were shot from a rest, and all were about 10 minutes apart, except for the 300 yard shots. Little/no crosswind, 87 degrees, and 80% humidity. Total investment- $480. Best money I've spent in years.

:)

2. fliger

fliger G&G Newbie

You didn't mention it, but I gather from the "total invested" that you have your rifle scoped?

3. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

It is scoped. I mentioned it in an earlier thread. Had the scope mount and side bracket custom made for it. The rifle is an unissued M39 B-barrel.

4. fliger

fliger G&G Newbie

I have a very nice m39 that one of my "best bro's" gave me. One hell of a shooter. Not groups quite that good, but close considering the use of the issue sights. The Finn stocks can even look quite nice without the famous Russian "red goo".

TF

5. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

The thing about the m39's was that they were required to group no more than 1-1/2" at 100 meters or the barrel was scrapped and a new one installed. This makes them one of the most accurate weapons ever issued to regular infantry troops.
    What year is your M39? I have 2-one is 1941, and the B-barrel is 1943. My 1941 shoots extremely well with issue sights, too. They are great weapons, aren't they?

6. fliger

fliger G&G Newbie

1942 SA marked B barrel.........really great condition. Even has nice figure in the stock. The M39 looks much shorter than it is! just a couple of inches shy of the 91-30...looks about a foot shorter because of the heavier forend.

7. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Yeah, I know what you mean. I thought the same thing, too. I really like the stock on the 39, because of the pistol-grip. I have larger hands, and it feels better. Makes it easier to shoot more accurately.....

8. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Good shooting Cal ! Can you hit a buckeye at 50 yds tho? lol

9. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Depends if he's running or not!! LOL

10. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

I knew you'd say something like that! :p

11. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Great minds think alike, huh?