Rattling and snorting on opening day??

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by tonto, Aug 10, 2002.

1. tonto

tonto Guest

Well gearing up for the big day come October.
    Last year I noticed allot of doe browsing the fields where i hunt for Whitetail but..... no bucks or at least not until night fall. They normally go to rut in like mid November(or a month away). So I am believing that rattling them up this year and grunting snorting wheesing is not gonna bring them out either way right? Some say it may just bring one out rut or not if they are resident deer for that area? I won't be able to hunt at rut time , should i rattle 'em up or just head deep in the brush and hope to jump one? I do know they are hanging around the brush line of the fields at dusk, probably watching the does browse and waiting for dark, but they are not travelling with the does just kinda "showing up". I would like 'em in the clear this year just the feel of bringing one to me is what i am after. Any suggestions?

2. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

ya but if its legal in your area like mine you can always call in a doe or two for the meat using a call of a young deer in distress

3. Hud

Hud Guest

I think rattling and grunting works best in the prerut time period when the bucks are sparing off and establishing a pecking order.

During the rut I like to hunt off of large scrapes back in the woods off of the fields you see the does coming out in. If you grunt, grunt like a younger buck, so that you don't scare off something you want to shoot. I would sooner use a doe bleat at this time period.

I shot this buck off of a scrape at noon during the rut. He stopped every day at noon while I was eating lunch at my wifes stand. I could tell because of the fresh snow every day. The third day I stayed there.

Attached Files:

4. Hud

Hud Guest

Hunting around white oaks, if they have acorns, works well during the pre rut also. Deeper into the woods the better. Hunting the red oaks doesn't work nearly so well. White oak acorns are sweet, red oak acorns are bitter. White oaks only have acorns every other year.

5. tonto

tonto Guest

Now that is one fine buck, can't believe the ole boy followed his same trail day after day like that, but rut will do that.
    So as far as i am reading most all say do a little calling can't hurt, and do the younger buck calls and wheezes is a good idea.
    Oh yeah if by the fourth day no buck.... well as we say in the field "brown is down", besides you can't eat antlers anyhow.But the ones i just saw on that wall sure are pretty.