Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone:

I’m new to this community and have a refinishing question.

I have an old surplus rifle and broke it all down to refinish everything.

For all the metal parts, I Vapor Blasted them and I’ve really come to like the unique raw silver finish it has left. I’d actually like to keep that but I realize to just leave it would be like falling asleep on the beach nude in the sun for the raw steel.

So my question is, what can I get to coat the steel that’s clear and durable against rust?

Thanks in advance,

Michael

P.S. If this isn’t the right category I apologize.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
3,620 Posts
I think if you oil it regularly and don't leave it leaning against the fence all winter you should be okay.

Home blue is, kinda kit and miss in my onion. I've seen good results with home cerekote but I doubt that'd suit you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think if you oil it regularly and don't leave it leaning against the fence all winter you should be okay.

Home blue is, kinda kit and miss in my onion. I've seen good results with home cerekote but I doubt that'd suit you.
Thanks for the info, I saw some Duracoat clear for firearms that I thought might work but I’m not sure.

Bluing is kind of not what I’m looking for as I think it will eliminate that silver finish I like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
21,335 Posts
There are hundreds if not thousands of anti-corrosion products people use and everyone has their favorites. For petroleum, Kroil or some form of Hoppes' works for me.

Some use ATF (automatic transmission fluid which is surprisingly good in lubrication and corrosion resistance), some a form of RIG grease (grease tends to stay in place better than oil), some 3 in one, Ballistiol, wax, etc.

I've used them all; if I want a petroleum based oil I gravitate to Kroil (sometimes in a mix with synthetic oil and ATF).

For a non petroleum oil I use Slip 2000 EWL (which has both a lube and a grease).

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I once had a revolver, Smith and Wesson model 36, that went with me to a military deployment that was planned to be 6 months or so living in the field/desert. It was an older blue gun with much of the blue gone and I did not expect to be able to bring it back, you could take handguns, but usually could not bring them back if you came through customs so you gave them to one of your buddies to use during his tour and they passed them on when they left. So, I sprayed it with clear coat paint/varnish/shellac out of a can just for added protection. I still have it 31 years later and it still has most of the clear coating on it. It has worn off the edges where the gun rubs.

Pretty basic and nothing I would do to a quality gun but I think it would be easy to get off if it did not work and would protect it for a while. Otherwise, I am with TXPLT, I like Ballistol.

I am going to dig it out of the safe and carry it a while, just for the memory.

·
Premium Member
25,776 Posts
If you have anyone in your neighborhood that applies Cerakote, they offer a clear product in both matte and gloss finishes. Here's a link for the matte...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts