Re-Finishing my M95

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Iron_Colonel, May 1, 2008.

1. Iron_Colonel

Iron_Colonel G&G Enthusiast

Ok, I was doing some reading around on the internet, and it looks like there are many different ways to go about re-finishing a gun stock, especially on an old military rifle.

So what I am thinking, is just using some linseed oil. I know there is also boiled linseed oil as well. So my question, whats the difference, and what is the best to use? I think I would just like to keep the same color, the color of the wood. There doesn't seem to be any nice finish on the stock of it right now. I saw a great pic of a Mauser in the Mauser forum of a gun re-done with linseed oil. I think I want my gun to look like that. So I guess, how do I go about getting a finish like that?

The stock presently has some knicks and dings, so what would be a good filler to fill in these spots? And is there a type or kind of linseed oil that is better than others that I can use to put a good finish on it?

Below is the link to that Mauser I mentioned. I don't know what kind of wood is used on the stocks on the Steyrs, but I am just looking for an end product like that Mauser in the pics. Not necessarily the same color, but just a nice even and smooth finish with whatever product is advisable.

Thanks.

https://www.gunandgame.com/forums/mausers/51808-refinished-mauser-98k-pics.html

2. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

You will want the BLO - 'Boiled Linseed Oil' - it is formulated to dry faster and is what many military rifles were finished in.
    Regular linseed oil will remain tacky.
    Best done slowly over a bit of time - the more oil, the deeper and glossier the finish.
    I personally use Tung Oil FInish - it dries more quickly, and can be recoated sooner.
    Either way, rub it in by hand - I use a finger dabbed in it, and apply a thin coat rubbing it in.

3. tigerdog09

tigerdog09 G&G Newbie

I have boiled linseed oil-what a mess, it catches fire easy, but gives a beautiful finish. The boiled linseed oil that you buy has chemical dryer added. Does about the same thing.

An old gunsmith told me this recipe. Rub the warm linseed oil in by hand if you generate a little heat the wood will absorb more. The formula--once a day for a week, once a week for a month, once a month for a year, and once a year for a lifetime. That about covers it.

4. bobvonb

bobvonb G&G Evangelist

steyr rifle stock

for my conversion project, not a restoration, but still a Steyr. The wood in this particular rifle stock has a LOT of grain exposed.

Attached Files: