close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Re: Grizzly Wars must go on!

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by pappa, Apr 18, 2002.

1. pappa

pappa G&G Regular

I recently picked up a Outdoor Life compilation, printed mid 80's, of true account bear stories they had run over the years in the magazine. Many of the articles were written by Canadian government wildlife/law enforcement personnel, named guides, or by renowned American outdoors writers.
    I am amazed at what I am reading:
    1) Attacks/ deaths greatly accelerated in the 70's and 80's.
    2) Black bears(???) can be maneaters...in the northwest USA and British Columbia
    3) An angered bear operates on hate, and is almost impossible to stop short of a head or spine shot. Otherwise, he gets you before he dies. (When you recall that some humans have also done this, it becomes apparent that individual determination is a big factor).
    I am appalled to read all this because of something I did years ago.
    I had just driven straight thru from Florida to the Great Smoky Mountains, and had not eaten in quite some time, as I liked to drive at night. We arrived in a park in the Smokies about noon time. and spred our lunch on the table. There were many tables with people eating, and a sidewalk meandering through them. Soon a rather large single black bear came through, running people off, and taking whatever he(she?) wanted from each table. I watched this with amusement until he came for my food. As the bear leaned onto my table to get something, I got boiling mad and shouted in the bear's ear to get the h-ll away from my food. Well, he turned, raised full height, and tried to stare me down.
    They have HUGE paws, but I "knew" THAT BLACK BEARS DIDN'T HURT PEOPLE.
    Upon my next angry outburst, which even I was not expecting, the bear turned and ran back up the hill.
    The Lord had to have been looking out for me.

2. sadiehn

sadiehn G&G Newbie

you can get away with that SOMETIMES with a black bear but if it would have been a grizzly you would have been the bears lunch.

3. pappa

pappa G&G Regular

I know! I know!
    I notice you are in Wisconsin. There are quite a few stories in that book about black bear hunting with dogs in your neck of the woods.
    In north Florida's Osceola Forest there are some "mini forests" of short oak scrub trees about 8 to 10 feet high. These are impenetrable except for game trails. The trails are about 3/4 the width of a man's shoulders, and about 3 1/2 feet high. We used to go back aways into them, until we found a lot of bear tracks in the sand one time.
    Here in Florida, the vegetation doesn't die back much in the winter, so visibility is usually not to good. I've hunted Pennsylvania and New Jersey, and I love that. Not much except snow on the ground and just the tree trunks. Of course in thick evergreen country, I suppose it could get a lot like Florida.
    Good hunting! :assult: :nod:

4. 7mmag6

7mmag6 G&G Newbie

watch out papa g, black bears can be really dangerous, I was hunting elk in northern New Mexico (the elk population has gone crazy here), I was toting my favorite rifle (Ibet you can geuss
    what that is) when I came across a black bear that was laying down in the juniper, probably looking for a nice juicy elk calve, Idont know who was more starled, behind her I could see two
    young cubs, she raised up and scared the living daylights out of me, I fumbled for my safety and she charged only 5o yards away,bears are really fast and she covered 25 yards in what seemed like 2 seconds, I thought i was a dead man, about 15 yards in front of me a big bull elk who was bedded down snorted and put a defensive posture towards mama bear and made her back down, hows that for prey protecting the quarry, needless to say that elk was not harmed by me. Never trust a bear no matter what kind it is, if they have cubs watch out. Iknow they get what appears to be tame in National parks and state parks dont think for a minute they are

5. JohnD

JohnD Member

Yes they do get tame and that is what makes them dangerous, they have no fear of man and hang out at populated areas. Just like farm animal accidents the animals have no fear and can snap.

6. pappa

pappa G&G Regular

Yo, 7mm

:) You are very lucky that bull decided to sleep there! He must have already been aware of both you and the bear being there.
    I have seen grizzlies from about 65feet away in a wildlife exhibit...there were two fences and a dry concrete moat between us. However, it still made the hair stand up on my neck.
    What loads are you shooting in that 7mm? I picked up a Savage 7mmMag around last Christmas. I'm shooting 140g..... really not much recoil compared to my 180g 30-06. However, I bet the 175g has a lot more kick.
    I'm glad that you didn't shoot the bull that (maybe) saved you..........not every guntoter is a sportsman these days.
    :cheer:

7. 7mmag6

7mmag6 G&G Newbie

well i like to shoot 170 grain, in my wetherby 7mm mag, good choice for elk or bear, a liitle heavy for deer , but i did bag an antelope, you have to be very carefull and shoot for the heart, in the lungs will destroy much of the meat