Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked and haven't seen this posted, so for those of you who want to save a few bucks on ammo (it adds up!) and live near a Gander Mountain and Wal-Mart or other 'discount' store that sells ammo, here is a little tip.

Gander Mountain will match and double the difference of any item in their store up to $50, all you have to do is tell them which store and either prove it (old receipt or ad) or ask them to call to verify.

Gander Mountain here has 100rd value pack of 9mm for $15.99 and .40 S&W for $21.99

Wal-Mart has them for $11.34 (9mm) and $14.49 (.40) .. that's atleast $5 per box .. and double that , you get $10 off their higher prices... $5.99 for 100 rounds of 9mm or $10 for 100 rounds of S&W isn't too shabby for my area.

They do this for guns and rifles too, any store within 100 miles (I believe it's 100, maybe 80) ..

Happy Hunting =)

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
!!!! Wal-mart. i pay the extra to help keep my local dealer in business. plus he's knowledgible, can smoke, and the coffees on him. go a head you cheap bas-tards drive another nail in the coffin.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Wow- calm down man, around were I live my local gunstore is notorius for sticking it to ya, so I kind have to go there. I wish more local stores would open up around here-honest and fair.
Untill then I have to go through the net and to the blue giant to get my goods.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Understandable.
Don't get me wrong-if I had a good one close to me, I would support them.
But a lot of people in the same situation like me are left with little choices

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
!!!! ing !!! holes!!!

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Heck, I'm with PapaG on this one. I'll never buy a gun at Wal Mart. Local dealers are it, with the occasional exception of Gander Mountain or Dunhams who have good stocks of milsurp or used guns.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Oh give him a break, he got pissed off at everyone cos of the religous thread - he'll calm down. Most of our local dealers suck too - treat milsurplus like crap, want to sell you Rugers and the ammo is always expensive. No wallymart here though. Big 5 carries some milsurplus but they hire a buch of retarded individuals - all in all it sucks but I'd still prefer the dealers.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Mean while our new friend here, newb101, was just trying to help us out.
It done got personal to PapaG.
I understand supporting the little guy, buy I am not going to travel 3 hours total time there and back to order or (worse even) place a gun on layaway( in which I have to many times) to a dealer that isn't even "local" to me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We are big on union here in NW Ohio, I just used Wal-Mart as an example because that seems to be the popular place to buy ammunition! Also you don't have to buy anything from them, but just have GM call them (or any store with a better price) to verify and save yourself a few dollars. Personally I'd never buy a rifle there (I don't believe they sell handguns, do they?) Not only because of their business pratices but ... does this make sense?

A grown man can not go into Wal-Mart to pick up a number of "M" mature rated video games because they promote violence - No way could it be the parents fault! ... Yes they sell shotguns. Personally I believe in the whole 'people kill people' thing, but I know !!!! well a shotgun would kill someone faster than a plastic disc. But that's just my two cents on wal-mart.

Again this wasn't intended to support them at all, I was just trying to pass on some info to save a few people a couple bucks by taking advantage of GM's great policy!!

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Whatever works man. I like to go to any place that is fair priced & treats you well. But sometimes I will buy new guns from big 5 since the local guys are rip offs. E.g. I got my mossy 500 from big 5 for $230. The same gun was sold by the local guy for more than $100 more. For $100, I don't mind dealing with numbskull employees - if the local guy wants support, he needs to move those prices down to something realistic. Apparently, most good gun dealers have left CA and only the money makers who don't care much about personal relations remain. There are a few (not so local) that still retain the old worldly charm though and many times I do take the time and drive there just to chat with them.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
gunssb said:
Whatever works man. I like to go to any place that is fair priced & treats you well. But sometimes I will buy new guns from big 5 since the local guys are rip offs. E.g. I got my mossy 500 from big 5 for $230. The same gun was sold by the local guy for more than $100 more. For $100, I don't mind dealing with numbskull employees - if the local guy wants support, he needs to move those prices down to something realistic. Apparently, most good gun dealers have left CA and only the money makers who don't care much about personal relations remain. There are a few (not so local) that still retain the old worldly charm though and many times I do take the time and drive there just to chat with them.
Exactly-case in point.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Hmmmm...

While it is important to support the local guys, how about this scenario...

The local gun shop here is a gun and bait n tackle place. Deals mostly in used arms and high prices on ammo. I check the shop all the time and because of his hours do buy some ammo there.

There is no real Gunshop for over 60 miles in any direction otherwise. Well there are two that come to mind that are fairly well equipped with guns, but guns is not their main or only business either.

I will admit to buying ammo from Wally World, and even K mart. When K mart was closing out 7mm ammo, I bought stuff, each box was 10 bucks and some change for stuff that went for 17 bucks everywhere else....

I do stop at the gun shop where I bought the handgun whenever I am back home and have a deal set up with an FFL here to have guns shipped there. The FFL here is almost a hobbyist, but can order just about anything.

I buy ammo on line about as much as in stores here. Since there is no one great place here, I use lot's of sources. Since I do not reload (yet?) and do not trust some of the wing nuts here that do, I buy retail all the time.

Now, if a guy wants to go to wally land, or spend the time to do the double rebate back thing, eh, knock yerself out Bro...

It is hugely important to support local Gun Shops, but it is just as important to support the Local True Value Hardware who has a lot of guns, ammo and supplies as well. And he too can order just about anything.

Mom and Pops cannot compete with super discount stores pricing due to the small amount of ammo they buy vs the trainloads the big stores buy.

If you have a good guy nearby, frequent them. If you become a regular customer, there are plenty of perks. I haven't found the Wally World employee yet that will let 5 guys sit and BS a saturday away and supply the coffee.....

The bottom line here is we NEED all these sources to stay in the business of Guns and Ammo. If we let the anti's take one out, or we allow small shops to fade into the past...we lose and the anti's win!

I am not saying patronize the guy who is out of his mind on ammo or firearm pricing either, buy what makes, and where it makes sense.

And to expand on what has been posted here, the do nothing, apathetic, take no stand as long as their favorite claiber or type of gun is not threatened gun owners are our worst enemy!

·
Registered
992 Posts
I recently bought 2000 rounds of M855 ball for $399 at Cabela's in Hamburg, Pa. I thought that seemed like a fair deal. I'll have to check out Gander Mountain.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I buy ammo at Walmart every week. Great prices. Colorado Springs , Colorado, has a phone book page full of gun shops. None have gone out of business. They provide other services and products that Walmart does not.
None of the gun shops here bad mouth Walmart.
Even if they did go out of business you would have a few people out of business compared to a whole county getting better prices. Its not rocket science to figure out which one helps the most people with prices and hires more people and pays more taxes...the mom and pop store...or Walmart.
!!!! yes I go to Walmart. You do what ever you like.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts