close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

rear sight removal

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by psycho dad, Aug 13, 2002.

1. psycho dad

psycho dad G&G Newbie

i am trying to remove the rear sight of my turkish mauser. i removed the front screw, which appears to be all that is holding it in place. it wont come off. it could be stuck with cosmoline, but i do not want to reef on it. when i do not know what i am doing, i dont do it. any tips, anyone

2. MAUSER REAR SIGHT

THE STANDARD MAUSER REAR SIGHT HAS A J HOOK AT THE PIVOT POINT FOR THE LADDER PORTION. PUSH DOWN HARD AT THE FRONT PIVOT POINT WHILE ALSO PUSHING TO THE REAR. WHEN THE PIVOT POINT COMES OUT FROM UNDER THE J ALL YOU HAVE LEFT IS THE SPRING WHICH MAY HAVE TO BE DRIFTED FORWARD IF IT DOESNT JUST FALL OUT. IF YOU RAISE THE SLIDING SIGHT JUST ENOUGH SO THE REAR OF THE LADDER BAR CLEARS THE REAR OF THE SIGHT BASE THAT WILL ALLOW YOU TO PUSH DOWN AND BACK WHILE COMPRESSING THE SPRING.

DANA

3. SMALL PIN?

FOUND ONE OF MY TURKS STILL HAD IT'S SMALL SAFTY PIN IN THE PIVOT SHAFT. IF YOURS HAS ONE YOU WILL HAVE TO DRIFT THE SMALL PIN OUT BEFORE THE REST OF THE JOB. MOST OF MY MAUSERS DO NOT HAVE THE SAFTY PIN INSTALLED. HOPE YOU WERE ABLE TO REMOVE THE SIGHT?

DANA

4. ANOTHER THOUGH

IF YOU MENT TO REMOVE THE ENTIRE SIGHT SLEEVE YOU WILL HAVE TO HEAT THE SOLDER AND DRIVE THE WHOLE SLEEVE FORWARD. THEN YOU MIGHT HAVE TO REMOVE THE FRONT SIGHT TO GET THE SLEEVE OFF THE BARREL.

DANA

5. psycho dad

psycho dad G&G Newbie

i am trying to remove the complete rear sight assembly. i pushed down at the pivot point you suggested. it does go down but does not move. i wanted to take it apart to give it a good cleaning as it has some very old cosmoline in it. i want to start shooting it as i just got it back from a gunsmith who checked the headspace etc. he showed me how to remove the magazine assembly to facilitate cleaning. he advised if not residual cosmoline will gum up the action eventually. he did not want that to happen as he dis assembled the bolt and cleaned it. eventually i will completely disassemble this rifle for a complete cleaning and refinishing the stock. there is only one minor scratch in the stock, otherwise it is beautiful. the rifling in the barrel appears almost brand new.

6. PUSH HARD

LOOK AT THE PREVIOUS POST AGAIN. THE LADDER BAR SHOULD BE ELEVATED JUST ENOUGH TO CLEAR THE REAR SIGHT BASE. THEN PUSH DOWN HARD TO COMPRESS THE SPRING WHILE PUSHING TOWARDS THE REAR. IT WILL COME.

DANA