close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rebarreling

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by BattleRifleG3, Apr 4, 2002.

1. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

For future reference, how hard is it to rebarrel a Savage 111, compared to a Remington 700 or Mauser?

2. hipowr

hipowr G&G Newbie

NE PA
    I'm not a smith by any strectch of the imagination. I read an Article on Savage a couple months back, I don't recall the publication. The author toured the factory and was allowed to basically build his own rifle. The article pointed out that the Savage headspaced very easily as it was adjustable in some way via the bolt or the barrel nut (I believe it was the barrel nut). Does anyone out there recall the article any better or still have it around?

later,
    AJ

3. Doctor Sam

Doctor Sam G&G Newbie

Savage

That was an American Rifleman article from about 4 -5 months ago. Should be easy to find.

I take mine to the local V A Hospital, along with Outdoor Life, Wyoming Wildlife, et.al., you get the drift.

They are snached up immediately by the patients. You may want to try this in your local.

4. The Savage is much easier. It headspaces like a Ma Deuce. Screw the abrrel halfway in, load the headspace gage, finish screwing the barrel down tite on the gage, torque the barrel nut to spec, remove teh headspace gage, and test fire.