Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I've posted on this before. But I'm still looking for input from people who have experience with the FAL (as I've never owned one, chose a G3 instead).

What I'm not sure about is whether it would be more economical to rebore an existing FAL barrel or to have one custom made. And then I have to ask whether the barrel would be strong enough after reboring as it would be thinner.

I assume chamber pressures would be the same as 308 Winchester, being based off of the same case. The pressure would drop more rapidly as the volume of the gas in the wider bore would be greater than 308.

However, with the same chamber pressure but an increased cross sectional area, the force on the bolt, and thus against the receiver would be 35% greater than with a 308 caliber bore. Would the FAL bolt and receiver hold up to this increased stress?

I figured this would use an 18" or 16" barrel, as the wider bullets would accelerate faster and have less use for a longer barrel.

Any thoughts from people who know FALs?

·
Registered
934 Posts
Hey there G3! I think the bolt and carrier would take the jolt OK, there are medium heavy and heavy FAL barrels available that give enough meat to bore (I would'nt bore a skinny barrel - like an L1A1). The one area that may take some tuning would be the gas system. The gas port may have to be opened up a bit to take some of the pressure off of the bolt. Remember these sticks are gas operated as opposed to the inertia blow back like your baby has.
Max

·
Registered
11,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I know about the gas system. I kind of assumed it, since it would be one of the least drastic mods Prices of heavy barrels make custom barrels look more attractive, but I dunno. I'll keep my eyes open and save my $$$. The idea would be somewhat of a brush carbine with superior bullet selection (military pistol, self defense, and hunting rifle) designed to give a bit more knockdown at closer range, whether in defense or hunting.

Know whether FALs are good in the Arctic?

·
Registered
11,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I figure a FAL would do better than a G3 in the Arctic since the G3 is a lot more dependent on lubrication. Also, the adjustable gas system would allow for the change in temperature.

Any ideas on the performance of 358 on Grizzlies?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts