Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me where the best place to find small ring mauser parts? I can find plenty of parts for my large ring, but i've had very little luck with small ring parts!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Gun Parts Corp. Good luck. Small ring parts are tough to find. What model is your rifle? I could look it up in Olsen's book, but I'm not at home.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i believe it's a 93 from the information that i have. it has all arabic markings with the cresent moon on the reciever. with a cut out to fit the 8mm round. it also has a stamp of 1934 around the cutout for the year it was rechambered. (that's the info that i have on the gun, may not be right, but that's what i have)

·
Registered
741 Posts
Be careful what you shoot in it. 8mm military ammo is on the hot side, really intended for the 98. Get the bore slugged to make sure it is a .323 and not a .318. All the ammo you are likely to find will be .323. Chances are the barrel is too, if it was redonein 1934, but you don't want to find out the hard way that it's not. The '93 action is not nearly as strong as the '98. The general consensus is the 8mm conversions were not a particularly good idea. US commercial 8mm ammo is loaded very light just because of rifles like this.

I would not shoot it at all until I had a gunsmith check it over. A good gunsmith.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
Rick, I tried to post this several days ago but for some reason it wouldn't post. Russ over at Springfield Sporters has a ton of small-ring parts and really knows his stuff, his web address is Springfield Sporters .

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, I know it took me a while to get back to this, but I have to look like I'm working sometimes. I don't think that I'm going to do much with this gun, just seems like it would be best to leave it a military original. It did wind up with the .323 barrel, and the stock is in fairly good shape. Maybe I'll hang it on the wall and look at it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Small ring 93 turk

i believe it's a 93 from the information that i have. it has all arabic markings with the cresent moon on the reciever. with a cut out to fit the 8mm round. it also has a stamp of 1934 around the cutout for the year it was rechambered. (that's the info that i have on the gun, may not be right, but that's what i have)

I obtained a 93 Turk action just like yours. They are very nice actually and light, making for a really nice sporter. I built mine in 7x57 mauser like the originals were chambered for. I keep the loads UN hot at the lower end of the scale for safety.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Zombie thread resurrection!:)

The .318/.323 myth has been around for decades and is wrong.

The old rounds were measured on the land. The new round was measured on the groove. The tolerance for both overlap from .315 to .325, as do the barrels.

It's not a bad idea to use lighter-loaded commercial ammo in an old rifle, but there was no such thing as "high pressure" or "low pressure" ammo when the Turks used these in WWI and WWII. There was "8mm." Allee samee.

I've been shooting Yugo and Romanian surplus 8mm in my S-bored Commissions and 1893 Turks for 23 years.

I'm still waiting for someone to show me a photo of the alleged explosions that rip a hole in the space-time continuum:)

On the COMMISSION RIFLE, the difference is the "S" marked barrels had the CHAMBER throat rebored to take ammo with thicker case walls to support jacketed spitzer rounds vs lead rounds. THAT is the difference. The bores are identical, except that some of the EARLY ones have shallower rifling that proved inadequate for lead thrown at that velocity and wouldn't grip it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts