close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rebuilt by the Danish? Good or bad?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by GrassHoppa, Aug 4, 2002.

1. GrassHoppa

GrassHoppa G&G Newbie

My brother found me a Garand and I'm looking to pick it up for my birthday. Appearently it's been rebuilt by the Danish. I was wondering if this is a good thing or bad thing. I don't know exactly how good sharp it's in and I might be able to get some photos a little later. For now, my first question is all I need. Would there be anything wrong with a Garand rebult by the Danish? I heard that the Danish gave a whole bunch back after they were done and some Canadian company bought them back for parts? Don't know if that's totally accurate. If anyone has some info, I'd be grateful.

-INFO- I live in Canada. This will be my first Rifle. I love the Garand. Can't wait to shoot it. Ok, I've made up my mind, I'll buy it.

2. There is nothing wrong with a Dane. Usually they have a VAR barrel which is quite accurate. Remember the reciever is built in the USA as USGI. I really dont think that your gonna do that bad, unless the rifle is a complete pig. Even then, that can be remedied. I wouldnt worry at all.

3. GrassHoppa

GrassHoppa G&G Newbie

Thanks for your reassuring words there Itcboy. I was wondering what I could possibly expect to see in a serial number? Is there anything to look out for? I guess that's all I can think of for now, I'll have to get some more info on it. Thanks again.

4. AS A RULE, a large number of Danes have been coming with lower serial numbers - say 2.5 m. or less, with quite a few in the <1 m. area. Some had the VAR barrels and some had the GI ones (usually rebuilds).

I agree with ltcboy - if you're looking for a good shoter, I have heard almost nothing but praise for the Danes.

5. Stock Doc

Stock Doc G&G Evangelist

There excellent but ugly sometimes. Apparently they liked to take steel wool and rub the finish off from what I have seen and been told. Allot are freshly parkereized from the CMP. Take a Military round and set it in the muzzle. If it swallows it then the barrel isn't all that good. The gauges out there are CRAP. I seen the CMP measuring there gauges the other day and not one was identical. Folks are relying on these crap gauges and passing on good guns and buying crap guns. I would and will never buy a Muzzle gauge as long as I have a Mil Surp Ball and a good T.E. gauge to slip in the end and see the muzzle wear.
    Let us know the numbers on all parts incase you have some goodies? Rick B

6. GrassHoppa

GrassHoppa G&G Newbie

No problem there Rick, as soon as I get some more info I'll post it right away. That's good to hear though. I have one more question for, well anyone really..... and that question is, what are some of the sites you guys know that is a good resource for Garands. Really any knid of info is what I want, I want to know what I'm getting into. Though, I think I'm good hands. :)

7. Grasshoppa@Work

Grasshoppa@Work G&G Newbie

Ok, more info on the Garand!

Springfield M1 Garand
    Serial# 188500
    Built Dec or Jan 1942-43

Rebuilt 1993
    -Danish Barrel (didn't say VAR or anything...)
    -Beretta cocking handle
    Those two parts are appearently the only new parts to the rifle. The rest is stock Springfield stuff. The barrel is supposed to be in very good shape with lots of rifleing left. The stock is in good shape as well, but did have some work done to it to fix a few nicks and bumps. The color was described as "beach" because it was very light in color with a little bit of grain to it.

So there you go, that's all the info I have for it. My brother is picking the rifle up today regardless, it seems like a good price for $550 CDN, which is average I'm told for a Garand in good shape. So? What do you guys think?

8. Jeremy

Jeremy G&G Newbie

not a bad haul, considereing the low serial number, i picked up a springfield for $200 at a gun show a couple of years back made in feb of 1945, but i have seen prices go up since then. Mine also has some beretta parts and a danish barrel, it was also rebuilt in 1993, probably from the same shipment as yours. they sure are a load of fun though, worth the money. I hope you enjoy yours.

9. Your receiver is probably more like Jan. 1941 -- I've also been hearing on other forums that Garandsare dirt-cheap in Canada - seems a little expensive, but I don't have first hand knowledge.

10. GrassHoppa

GrassHoppa G&G Newbie

Hmm, well I guess I'll have to check the prices again but, alas I've already bought the Garand so there's no turning back. I've seen a range of prices for Garands up here. The one closest to me was priced at 200 dollars but it was in horrible shape. So, maybe this guy is marking it up a little, but hey I don't really care. It's about right and it's supposedly in very good shape. So, I'm a pretty happy camper right now. I think the price is acceptable, unfortunatly I have to deal with a slight price increase, and most Canadian's will probably agree somewhat unless you know where the real deals are. So, the reciever was made in 1941? Can anyone verify that? Is there any way of being sure?

11. I would check out Duff's book. Your reciever was built in either Jan. or Feb. of 1941.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2002
  12. I'm looking at Scott Duff's book and the end-month serial number produced for Jan., 1941 is 183519 - Feb. is 197811 - I think we can say with confidence you have a February, 1941 receiver.

13. Grasshoppa@Work

Grasshoppa@Work G&G Newbie

Wow, the history. I can't wait until I get the chance to actually shoot it. I have to wait untill the 16th though. Woe is me. I'll probably post again with my thoughts. Thanks for all the info there guys, your help is very much appreciated. Happy shooting.

14. Let us know how your rifle shoots - just got a CMP 1943 M1 I'm itching to try out, too.

15. GrassHoppa

GrassHoppa G&G Newbie

You can bet on it Rick. My girlfriend doesn't like guns much so you guys here are like the only people that appreciate what I'm talking about and want to talk about it more! I love that. I'll let you guys know for sure.