close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

reccomendation for first trap gun for 9year old boy

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by oneal, Aug 25, 2002.

1. oneal

oneal G&G Newbie

My son is 9 and has been trap shooting about 6 months now. boy is he good! The problem is his gun. I had a spare H&R single shot that first I sawed off the stock on. Then I made him a new stock altogether. It fits him perfect now but it still kicks like a mule. not much you can do about that with a single shot. It does have 2 recoil reducers in the stock and a good pad. He has used a freinds rem 1100 that was modified for a youth and really liked it. He also tried a custom winchester single barrel trap gun. He got his highest score ever on that one. All of the shotguns he has tried were 12 ga. and we want to stick with that. So what would all of you recommend for a good trap gun that he could grow old with? I would like to stay under 1000 dollars or not much over if possible.

2. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    nuthin fancy, but my son uses a Mossberg 20 Banatam. 3/4 oz loads of what ever pleases you or standard 7/8. you get a 50% off coupon for a longer stock when they out grow it. Comes with a longer plug to limit to one shot. Comes in 12 ga too, there are some awesome 7/8 oz 12 ga loads as well.
    good luck,
    n-joy your 9 yr old, they grow too fast.

3. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

My best suggestion would be to take him to your favorite dealer and have him fitted. If you're willing to spend around a grand you will have endless shotguns to choose from. I use a Beretta 685Light model. It would be too long for him, but Beretta does make different lengths, and the Light model makes them more manageable. However, it increases the felt recoil.

Go Red Raiders! I grew up around Lubbock myself, and my wife is from Seminole. Good shooting from San Antone!