Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...there is a great restaurant in Fayetteville, NC called Sandpiper...It's like country cooking in the middle of a place that is better known as Fayettenam.

I am driving my Silver Chevy Caprice, former ALE car, when I notice the gas below E...over 420 miles on the tank that should be emptied at 380 miles! So I go one mile pass Sandpiper to a gas station that says "Happy Days". I pull in...close to being my worst decision ever.

I get out and leave my father in the front seat and friend in the back seat. I do notice that the area is full of shady people. When I mean shady people I am talking about racially profiling people that have extremely unkempt faces and bloodshot eyes. I start pumping gas when one male starts to point and say, "Hey Officer"...at first i didn't respond. After the 3rd time, I said "How are you doing?" in a strong voice.

After that, several people started to circling the car. My dad started pointing to the crowd, and one individual who had a gun being drawn. I threw the pump back into the gas pump, jumped into the car cranked it, and laid rubber out of there.

My father only had a small 22 pocket pistol, but left his main carry gun at home tonight.

What did these people want? No idea. Did I cause it, by responding to the guy's call, possibly. Did I do the right thing by jumping in the car...hell yes.

Would having a larger weapon been a more of comfort...absolutely. Did I know how many firearms were on their side...no. Did I make the right decision by getting in the car? Absolutely, there is nothing to win by standing there and pulling an OK Corral, especially with such low life.

I couldn't believe what was happening right before my very eyes tonight. I need to finish my paper work to legally carry a concealed weapon. Next time I might not be able to make it to the car.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Yikes! That's quite the scary encounter there Chris.

I'm very glad to hear you and your father are alright, save for perhaps some frazzled nerves.

...and yes, get that paperwork done. Heck, check out to see if NC is an Open Carry state. Washington State is legal open carry and doesn't require a license or permit to do so. I know in some states you have to have a permit to carry either concealed or open, but it's worth checking out.

Stay safe, and yes, you did make the right decision. You're alive, no one was hurt, and no property was lost.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Scary stuff,sounds like you did right thing,always two options as i see it ,fight or flight,did you pay for the gas??

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah...I paid for the gas I used the credit card read in the gas pump.

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
Wow! What a scary situation! Yup, you did exactly the right thing by exiting the scene. You were so lucky to be able to disengage before things got out of control. You were wise also, to consider the welfare of your passengers and be alert to your surroundings. As I'm sure you will agree, when you transport others in your vehicle, without saying so, you have assumed responsibility for their safety. This is one reason, when others are in my vehicle, I drive much more safely. I wouldn't want someone hurt because I was irresponsible! You did absolutely the correct thing by getting yourself and your passengers to safety!:bigeyes:

·
Banned
3,876 Posts
I'd say your first mistake was responding to the guy. Second, you didn't leave any paper trail did you? I mean, on most of the gas pumps they give you a receipt with your gas, did you leave that behind? Or could they have pushed yes for a receipt and got your name? You said one guy had a gun being drawn? I'm confused, did the other guys have guns? Was he reaching for it? Anytime my wife and I go on trips, I take a sidearm with me, I'm almost starting to even with smaller trips to the "big city" about 45 minutes away. Anytime I'm in the car with my wife, I leave the keys in, and lock the doors, just in case something does happen she can get out of their as quick as possible. You did make the right choice, gg.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I hate when people pull that crap with me. There will always be some people who try to rob and beat you, no matter where you are and that is why it is so important to always be on your toes and to have something with one in the chamber at all times. You did the right thing by jumping into the car. Where are the cops when you need them. My guess that area of the town and that gas station and inhabited by those jerks and the cops need to go there and do their job.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
I would venture to guess these were illegal immigrants. They pulled on you because they thought you were law enforcement, and in their minds, against them. Also, they do not like white folk. You were almost the victim of a hate crime/murder.

Cops do not do anything about these situations. I will show you something that has happened here in Colorado...

To give a basic outline:

THis 50-some year old white guy worked at 7-11 in the evening. He is a hippie who lives in a trailer up near Boulder here. When he is going to/from 7-11 to work, he wears a Border Patrol hat.

Apparently, some illegals saw him on the bus. One day they came into his store and confronted him. "Are you the one that wears the border patrol hat?" they asked in broken english. They told him they were going to get him and kill him and show him what they think of his hat and called him a stupid ******.

This guy gets off work at 9:30. He went home. 45 minutes later, (5) - .30 caliber rounds fly through the front window and fly by the register where he would normally be standing. Luckily the person who was working at the time was helping a customer elsewhere in the store.

The cops come, call this hippie guy: Bruno. He tells them the story. They show him mugshots and he identifies the individuals. There was 2 of them.

Not for another 11 days do they go to this guys house. Then they find the M1-Garand rifle in a closet. The guy is gone and has not returned.

The police chief lied about Bruno's testament to the police, and the police, 7-11 and the newspapers have said that Bruno challenged the individuals and instigated the attack. Bruno was fired from 7-11. Bruno took a lie detector test and passed. It basically said he did not confront these guys, or challenge them, and showed that 7-11's as well as the Police Chief's statements were false.

7-11's spokesperson will not talk and neither will the police where this happened.

They are trying to sweep this under the carpet. They don't care about Americans and legal citizens. I would venture to guess this happens more and more everywhere in our country.

Chris, you did the right thing getting out of there.

Don't depend on the cops or the govt. to help you. Especially when it comes to defending yourself. They spend too much time thinking about PR, PC and how to please their jackazz politicians to care about your safety.

Here is a bit about this story here in Colorado:

Rocky Mountain News - Denver and Colorado's reliable source for breaking news, sports and entertainment: Local

It is hard to really show you a good story to outline what is really going on here, as the media is pretty liberal and cares more about the illegal population than what happened to the victims in this case, but it has been the focus of regular discussion on Denver's KHOW radio station.

Notice on the linked article that the arrest warrant was issued on 7/30. That is ludicrous. The shooting happened on 6/26. Not for 34 days did they issue an arrest warrant. What kind of crap is that? Especially when the guy was identified the night of the shooting.

Carry weapons with you, and Pred's idea is a good one. I do that when I travel with friends or anyone really. Lock the doors and leave the keys in the car when I leave them in there. I can't wait till I get my CCW permit on the 29th. I will feel a lot more prepared to respond to situations such as the one you found yourself in Chris. Especially with nearly 25% of Denver's population being illegal immigrants. Most of which who carry flase identification, no insurance or licensing...and if they commit a crime, they can flight away to another city or back to Mexico and assume a different identity, disappear basically.

This is turning very sick and twisted in our country and I don't know what can be done about it, none of our political officials care, and that only goes down the line to law enforcement. We as citizens are being left in the gutter to die...

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
I had something similar happen around 11:30 pm one night in Monroe La. I was filling up my co truck and I thought I'd call my wife to let her know I was on way home.
The pay phone was at the end of the building of the convenience store. I had just started talking to my wife when to down and out bums rounded the corner and went to asking me for change.
Man it pissed me off and I went to yelling DON'"t YOU SEE I'M TALKING ON THE TELEPHONE !!!!!! Then I reached in my left pocket and left it there like I had a weapon, but I didn't ! My wife went to asking whats wrong, whats wrong !!!
I said theres to guys thats got surrounded ! Hang on !
I said what you guys need ? And fortuinatly they went to appolijizing for interrupting my phone call, then ask If I could spare $3.00 dollars and I said I'm sorry guys I've only got a few cents to buy me a bottle of gator Aid...They Left.
You talk about a rush, I started carrying my 20 ga singleshot on the days I drove to the plant in Monroe...A.H

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Chris...I had no idea you were talking about this last night on CHAT. We didn't have enough time then for me to learn the whole story. I'm sorry to hear about your close call, too.

I'm a firm believer in settling differences without violence, etc. whenever possible...and you obviously sensed that was a good choice under those circumstances, too.

Glad you were ok and now that CCW takes on an even more important meaning.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The guy kept calling out "HEY OFFICER" and got within 10 feet of the car...I finally replied "How are you doing?"...the guy turns and points to the other guys there they start walking up. This woman sees this going on turns and runs away. I selected no receipt on the gas pump prior to this happening. The guys were all black. I had heard rumors of this town, but never believe any of it.

Pred - the one guy was reaching for the gun from his waistband. it was a true out of the movie of a gang type member pulling a gun.

My whole thoughts during this were to hurry up and get gas....I left the door opened to the car, as usually I close it.

Anyways, I don't think the conceal carry would have provided leverage in this case unless I was unable to make it back to the car in time. Just like Oxford said, I am for solving a situation without violence if it can be avoided. I didn't even have time to put the license plate up as that is where the gas tank is.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
I'd have called the cops anonymously & reported them pulling a gun on you, luckily getting away before anything happened.

·
Registered
18,982 Posts
I agree,especially my families and my own,I would escape if possible with out anyone getting hurt,but then you said surrounded with no way out.:burnout:

·
Registered
978 Posts
When you did not tell him you were not an "officer" and you responded to the greeting without correcting him...you probably made him think you were an "officer". Not that I was there in a dark and scary situation with you. I'm not taking you to task.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts