close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Recoil on a M1A1

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Cyclops, Aug 16, 2002.

1. Cyclops

Cyclops G&G Newbie

What is the recoil like on one of these? Back many years ago, I use to shoot a HK 91. Didn't like the recoil...always left my shoulder red. THen I was told the HK's are all straight blow back operated & that would explain all the recoil. I was told the M1A1 is gas operated so recoil would be mild...

2. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

never shot an hk-91, but the m1a is easy on the shoulder. maybe you can get someone to let you try their's.

3. Cyclops

Cyclops G&G Newbie

I've had a chance to shoot a few bolt action rifles in 308 and 300 win mag. Enjoyed them all & I'm not worse for wear :D

4. Cyclops

Cyclops G&G Newbie

Oh, does the gas operaton of the M1A1 slow down or absorb the recoil?

5. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

yeppers. it does ease recoil. like i said find some one with one and try it, offer to pay for ammo expended. better get one before Kalifornica makes you turn them in to make Toyota hubcaps:rolleyes: :nod:

6. Cyclops

Cyclops G&G Newbie

Thanks Papa G! :right:

7. Wayne

Wayne G&G Newbie

The recoil on an M1A is more like a "push" than it is a kick, at least that is what mine feels like

8. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

I use an HK-91 and don't see how the recoil could be higher than an M1a, of course mine has a muzzle brake. There's no way an M1a would kick more than a bolt action, so if those are ok, then the M1a is fine.

9. Gyrene

Gyrene G&G Newbie

CA
    Cyclops - Based upon what I have seen and experienced, I would say that the recoil is quite mild. My own shooting experience is that it in fact is quite mild.

We have had as many as 3 ladies on the firing line shooting M1A's, in competition.

We had a Junior lady shooting an M1A in competition, and she didn't weigh over 100 lbs. Matter of fact she went to State and Regional matches before going to Camp Perry, with it.