close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Recoil Vs Gas Operated

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Logansdad, May 4, 2002.

1. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

Which is better and why ?

2. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    this probably lines up to a personal preference thing. I like recoil operated. Lighter in weight, simple design in most cases. My dad and brother both have Benelli's I'm very impressed. always have been an A-5 fan, my first love before I became a pump junkie.

3. GaryG

GaryG G&G Newbie

Let's look at the history of Remington shotguns. The recoil-operated guns were sold from 1900 to the early 60's, with the last model being the 11-48. Remington then came out with the gas-operated 1100 and it became the best-selling auto shotgun ever. They replaced it with the 11-87 and its still going strong.

I've been told that before the 1100 you couldn't get a serious trap or skeet shooter to use a Remington autoloader since they were only good for 5000 rounds. I don't know if this is true. Maybe some old timer can clear this up. I do know that an 1100/1187 will go 5000 rounds easy.

4. There's lots of mechanical action on recoil operated shotguns. Parts wear out, springs get weak, and so on. I own a model 11 and a model 48, both are recoil operated. The 48 shoots nice, but is not reliable. The 11 kicks so hard that I don' want to shoot it. My 1100 is the choice for shooting. Guys you've got to keep the gas ports clean. Happy shooting!

5. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    have to tend to agree with the older recoil operated guns to a certain extent. however the apitamy of simplicity is the Benneli and it's clone twin Stoeger.