Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are a lot of red dot sights on the market and the price can range from 80-500 US dollars.

I will fire my carbine at an indoor range only. Due to a lifetime of computers and studing and eyestrain I'm not very good at aiming using traditional iron sights-things get blurry and hazy and as I squint trying to see the sights.

I have a magnifying telescopic sight mounted on it and it allows me to see much better but for indoor shooting it's quite silly and it makes the weapon much heavier and less handy.

At one point I considered purchasing Truglo iron sights but right now I think I'm leaning towards a good quality red dot because I understand it allow rapid aiming with both eyes open-without squinting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If I were you I think I'd try a Tasco ProPoint with a 5 MOA dot. Should work well for your intended purpose. Less than 100 bucks and fairly good quality. You could spend a lot of money on a better one with a smaller dot and longer battery life but I think you would be happy with the Tasco.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I am not a big fan of cheap red dot sights. Get something with a quality name. Some of the ATN scopes are supposed to be good for the money something like the ATN Compact Digital Ultra Reflex Sight - ATN Compact Digital Ultra Reflex Sight w/ Free UPS - ATN Compact Red Dot scopes and sights. I would avoid the redots by BSA, tasco, simmons and the like. Just my personal opinion. The only red dot I am currently using is an Aimpoint, but that would be overkill on a 10/22. If you want to spend some money though you could get a trijicon reflex sight. That would be about the right size for a 10/22. They make one with a triangle aiming dot that is very cool! They are always on too.

Oh, and welcome to the site. Hang around for a while!

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I'm leaning towards a good quality red dot because I understand it allow rapid aiming with both eyes open-without squinting.
The one linked above is a good choice, but for shooting with both eyes open I prefer a larger diameter.
This one is about 1 3/4" in diameter.
Or this style is nice also. I have used both for indoor shooting with rimfires.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Get this one...
Cabela's -- Bushnell Trophy Multi-Reticle Red Green Dot Scope

The green dot is nice to use inside, and you can change to red if you need it brighter. It has several different reticles so you can pick what you like, and it has a nice small dot avail for shooting accurately. My dad has one on his 22 pistol and it's excellent. Very accurate and high quality.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Get this one...
Cabela's -- Bushnell Trophy Multi-Reticle Red Green Dot Scope
The green dot is nice to use inside, and you can change to red if you need it brighter. It has several different reticles so you can pick what you like, and it has a nice small dot avail for shooting accurately. My dad has one on his 22 pistol and it's excellent. Very accurate and high quality.
This does look pretty nice. I have had bad luck with the Tasco/BSA cheap red dots.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts