Record size 15 1/2" crappie today

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by Oxford, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

WAHOO! My buddy Glen and I had fun today. He caught a 15 1/2" crappie and together we caught six nice sized keepers.

Probably should have weighed the big fish...but we didn't. I have no idea what the record crappie caught at Smithville Lake, which is about 20 miles north of downtown, KC, MO.

Water depth was 20 ft, temp. was 84 Deg F, and the hook was set at around 8 ft down using a live medium sized minnow.

Definitely I've never in my lifetime seen a bigger crappie than this one. Maybe in some areas this is "normal" but around here this one is rare.

For some reason I think we'll be back to that "honey hole" next week/same time.(ha)

Joe

Attached Files:

2. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I've fished for 55 years and never caught a crappie that big. One of my daughters caught one about that size when she was 4-5 years old and said daddy, can I let him go. So we did.

3. Para Cassatt

Para Cassatt G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

4. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

Wow, that's a nice crappie! We have a 10" min. keeper law, but most of them we see are just barely keepers or under.

5. Wow...that's a slab of a crappie.

6. dman24

dman24 G&G Newbie

That crappie is huge. We have a 10 in law here as well. We have days where all we catch is keepers and then there are days we don't catch 10 keepers. Looks like you had a good day on the lake though.

7. sell33

sell33 G&G Enthusiast

holy cow! That thing is a monster. here they gotta be 9 1/2" to keep, so 11 or so is pretty big. my little brothers friend got a 13 1/2" one a couple years ago...biggest I ever saw, he got pictures next to a tape and sent it in to the state and got some certificate for an ohio big fish.

8. Dutch

Dutch G&G Evangelist

CO
    Wow ox, I cant see the dorsal fins, and am no crappie expert. Is that a black crappie? If so 15.5 inches would land you an MA out here. Very nice fish. 15+ are very rare in CO.

9. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

I wish now we had taken the time to weigh that big crappie. We're so used to just measuring their length that that was mainly on our mind. I've got a digital scale in my tackle box so it wouldn't have been a problem to do.

I would guestimate that it weighed around 3 lbs +...but too late to know now. Here's the state fish size records in Missouri right now:

Missouri Fishing Records

10. kansascoyote

kansascoyote G&G Newbie

Very nice I have only caught one around that size it was a day to remember for sure . We were fishing in an old rock quarry and I caught one that was 16" he weighted 3.6 lbs . So I am saying you are close at 3 lbs. congratulations that is a great day any day .

11. Sportsterboy

Sportsterboy G&G Evangelist

Biggest white crappie I ever saw was a 17.5 inch taken out of a Ks. farm pond. It came up and hit a spinner bait like a large mouth bass. Don't know what it weighed, as we put it in my dad's farm pond to try and catch again..:wink1:

12. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Thanks for the comments, fellows. Actually I have two fish scales in my T. Box. One mechanical, the other digital. Hind sight is always better...but in the excitement we wanted that bugger in the cage before it jumped back in the lake. Still...we could have weighed it before it was filleted. Never again..........(ha)

KansasCoyote...I've driven by a lot of Kansas farm ponds that I would have liked to have been able to fish. Some of those are in remote sites just for ranch cattle's purposes. Seems kinda strange how a farm pond will end up fairly quickly with fish in it. I suppose feeder creeks and birds drop fish...or
    something else. Then, too, state fish hatcheries often time will stock ponds as long as the land owner agrees to certain conditions. But once they're dug and fill up fish start growing, laying more eggs, eating smaller fish and grassy moss, etc. and as long as a preditor fish doesn't find it's way to the pond will grow to unusual sizes and weights.

13. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

That's one nice fish there Ox !!