Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased some of this ammo 300 rounds for $135 shipped. thats not a bad price these days. $6.95/20rnd box before shipping and tax.

I have seen this same ammo for sale online for $9-13.

Local bass pro has 5.56 brass, 200 rounds for $130 after tax, so by buying this steel case cheap stuff online i basically got an extra 100 rounds for the same cost.

I have a decent amnt of m193 on stock, but i want to keep that for a "rainy day" and use this cheap steel stuff for training, at least close range stuff.

anyways, I've used tula, and wolf in the past, but thats about it as far as steel cased ammo. has anyone used this stuff in .223 in a AR specifically. Someone online stated that this is actually tula ammo in "red army stndrd" packaging. we'll see.. for the price i really dont care, as long as it cycles somewhat reliably.

I fully realize that its going to be dirty, and ill want to clean my chamber after shooting it.

I also wont leave a case in a hot chamber for more than a few seconds as from experience i know that can cause the coating on the steel case to melt and then cool and really stick.
this will mostly go through my bear creek arsenal 10.5" 5.56 pistol, which i think is better suited to handle it than my other ar that I believe has tighter tolerances.

anyways, ramble over. Please discuss.

try and avoid posting about how much better brass cased ammo is, I KNOW.

Ill report back as soon as i get it, then follow up with a range report. I didnt see many reviews for this ammo.

they may still have some if you want try it out.

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After my last range outing I got the taste again for putting a good amount of rounds down range, getting stuff smoking hot, you know, just having a good ole time!

so thats why im trying to maximize round count. some might be wondering why i didnt just get a case or something, I had a $100 gift card so that kinda set my budget here.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,871 Posts
I recently purchased some of this ammo 300 rounds for $135 shipped. thats not a bad price these days. $6.95/20rnd box before shipping and tax.

I have seen this same ammo for sale online for $9-13.

Local bass pro has 5.56 brass, 200 rounds for $130 after tax, so by buying this steel case cheap stuff online i basically got an extra 100 rounds for the same cost.

I have a decent amnt of m193 on stock, but i want to keep that for a "rainy day" and use this cheap steel stuff for training, at least close range stuff.

anyways, I've used tula, and wolf in the past, but thats about it as far as steel cased ammo. has anyone used this stuff in .223 in a AR specifically. Someone online stated that this is actually tula ammo in "red army stndrd" packaging. we'll see.. for the price i really dont care, as long as it cycles somewhat reliably.

I fully realize that its going to be dirty, and ill want to clean my chamber after shooting it.

I also wont leave a case in a hot chamber for more than a few seconds as from experience i know that can cause the coating on the steel case to melt and then cool and really stick.
this will mostly go through my bear creek arsenal 10.5" 5.56 pistol, which i think is better suited to handle it than my other ar that I believe has tighter tolerances.

anyways, ramble over. Please discuss.

try and avoid posting about how much better brass cased ammo is, I KNOW.

Ill report back as soon as i get it, then follow up with a range report. I didnt see many reviews for this ammo.

they may still have some if you want try it out.
also wont leave a case in a hot chamber for more than a few seconds as from experience i know that can cause the coating on the steel case to melt and then cool and really stick.

Not sure about RAS, most new stuff isn’t lacquered any longer. They mostly use a polymer coating.

Not sure about RAS, most new stuff isn’t lacquered any longer. They mostly use a polymer coating.
Ive shot wolf and Tula with no issues in the chamber. The dirty rap comes from the steel not sealing the chamber like brass, hence some blow by. Agree brass is king, but ya know, this stuff isn’t at all horrible. I’d be more concerned about barrel wear with bi metal projectiles if applicable.

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
also wont leave a case in a hot chamber for more than a few seconds as from experience i know that can cause the coating on the steel case to melt and then cool and really stick.

Ive shot wolf and Tula with no issues in the chamber. The dirty rap comes from the steel not sealing the chamber like brass, hence some blow by. Agree brass is king, but ya know, this stuff isn’t at all horrible. I’d be more concerned about barrel wear with bi metal projectiles if applicable.

Yeah I agree, barrel wear is something to keep in mind, but again, its a cheap bear creek barrel that will be eating most of this, I can replace that for about $150, and have been considering buying up a 14.5" barrel to try out next anyways.

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My forward looking thought process is now that i have the .300 blk super shorty, I kinda want to take my 10.5" up to a 14.5" pinned rifle, and then bump my 16" rifle up to a 18-20 "long range" rifle.

Idk, I was looking at a nice ballistic advantage 14.5" barrel on sale for like $150, but then I realized if i bought that I wouldnt have that $$ to spend on ammo, and whats a new barrel with no ammo to put through it?

I think im fine with my setup for now and will focus more and ammo and actually shooting than spending on more parts and changing what i have, that in all honesty is more than enough.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,871 Posts
Yeah I agree, barrel wear is something to keep in mind, but again, its a cheap bear creek barrel that will be eating most of this, I can replace that for about $150, and have been considering buying up a 14.5" barrel to try out next anyways.
Agreed.
I buy and use guns with the thought process of not wearing them out. However, wish I could lol. Sounds like a plan sir.

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The ammo came in today, UPS always delivers for me on time.

this is just tula steel case in rebranded packaging. well, its made by tula, even says so on the box and the case head, however i dont know if its loaded to the same spec as the tula that comes int he black boxes.

the bullets are at least copper plated, as opposed to those zinc? plated silver looking ones, actually to me it looks like aluminum!

cases are polymer coated, not that horrible laqcuer coating.

range report as soon as i can. probably a few weeks honestly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts