close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Red Dot Scope Questions

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by BattleRifleG3, May 9, 2002.

1. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

Ok, I've checked out Red Dot scopes and have one simple question... I've wondered if the scope has to be perfectly aligned in order for the dot to be on center. Or will it hit on the dot as long as you can see the dot?

2. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

You are planning to mount your sight sideways?

I do not think a slight misalignment of the scope mount will cause any problem. I may be wrong, but it seems to me that a 1x red dot sight should not have any parallax. If you see the dot on the target, you should hit it, assuming you were sighted in for the range.

3. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

If only I could draw what I was talking about... And knew what parrallax meant. Suppose I could look it up in my Physics book.

4. wes

wes G&G Newbie

Read an article on these. They say that there is no parallax,but,if you get to the extreme outside edge of the scope,there is some. As long as it's "somewhere" around the center,it seems to work fine.

5. BFR

I've checked out a few of the red dots and from what I remember most of them claim that your eye, the red dot and the target need not be perfectly lined up to be accurate.

I'm trying to remember the terms and phrases they used, but, in a nutshell you can hold the gun away and down and etc., and as long as you can see the dot on the target it's accurate. Provided it was sighted in properly to begin with.

The idea of not having to shoulder the weapon for it to be accurate is one of the reasons it's considered a great scope for close in fire fights and tactical entries, etc.

My concern was how visible and useful they are in low light conditions.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2002