Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys and gals just like the title says looking for a reduced recoil loads for a 30-06 but still strong enough for whitetail hunting?

factory loads would be ok but also like input on handloads

currently I have on hand 165gr, 180 gr 30cal bullets but am willing to buy lighter bullets

·
Registered
678 Posts
Something to consider in working up reduced recoil hunting rounds is bullet performance. Hunting bullets have a range of velocity within which you can expect proper expansion. With that in mind, I developed a handload for one of my grandsons using Hornady 160 grain Leverevolution bullets and Re-7 (32 grains) to produce a chronograph velocity of a shade under 2200 fps. MOA accuracy. He has killed several whitetails with that round, including a nice 8-pt this past fall. Recoil is essentially that of a 30-30.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I use a moderate recoil load of 50 gn Varget under a 155 Lapua Scenar. Some folks may shy away from using these type of bullets on game, but they are proven in the field, great BC and are rather mild to shoot. Remmy rolls a 125 reduced load and this can be achieved by using a 125 Nosler BT and some H4895 http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/H4895 Reduced Rifle Loads.pdf

I have another one for you, but will send it to you via pm

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
i'm not one to reduce loads.... usually I'd just go to a lesser cartridge but pilgrim makes a good point.

if you want a good reduced hunting round in a 06 i'd recommend using a bullet meant for 30-30 like a 150 gr flat nose or possibly a ballistic tip since they expand pretty quick anyway(prolly act like a interbond at 30-30 speeds). the hornaday 140 or 160 flextip would prolly be ideal for 06 reduced hunting loads if you keep velocity under 2400ft/sec

hogdon has a reduced load using trailboss in their data but Ive never try'd it.call'em.... they were very helpful when I was experimenting with a short barrel 44 mag, they may not give you what you want but they will certainly tell you what wont work.they directed me to tons of data

·
Banned
2,746 Posts
i'm not one to reduce loads.... usually I'd just go to a lesser cartridge but pilgrim makes a good point.
We have a Bingo!

Not to sound snarky - but - if you want a .30 cal bullet but you don't want the kick - buy a .308. I can understand reloaders wanting the 30-06 for it wide variance of load development. If you simply own a 30-06 but "don't like the recoil" - then you own the wrong gun. It's like owning a .300 Winchester magnum and then loading it down to 30-06 ballistics. Despite what it's says on the barrel - you are no longer hunting with a .300 magnum, you are now shooting a 30-06 cartridge. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks will look into and try your suggestion

I understand what your saying about the reduced loads and getting a different caliber, what im trying to do a make a temporary fix for my sister in law, until a re-barrel can be done to a smaller caliber

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
The 30-06 is the crescent-hammer of rifle cartridges, not necessary to go full tilt on loads for every type of game.

No need for a full out 208-210 gn shoulder buster to fill out a Doe tag, nor a 125 gn Youth load for a Trophy elk hunt.

If OP or anyone reloads, an efficient mild recoil load can be had, utilizing modern technology in penetration and expansion, energy can be focused on the terminal rather than internal ballistics.

A properly placed reduced load can be effective, although care must be taken to ensure a high enough Sectional Density to make an ethical kill.

In short the -06 can always be loaded down, but a lesser cartridge can not be loaded up.

·
Banned
2,746 Posts
thanks will look into and try your suggestion

I understand what your saying about the reduced loads and getting a different caliber, what im trying to do a make a temporary fix for my sister in law, until a re-barrel can be done to a smaller caliber

I see your point. I believe I already posted in another thread Depending upon the cost of the new barrel and installation - you could almost get a new rifle. Savages can be had for around $300 and up. The 25-06 is a great caliber. I bought my girlfriend one for it's flat shooting at distance and less recoil than a .30 cal or .270. Ammo is more expensive but these days that's a moot point given availability. She shot a large doe last fall with her 25-06 using Hornady 118gr SST load. The bullet went thru both shoulders and broke her back exiting the far side. ;)

·
Registered
9,514 Posts
I do believe Hornady and Remington both sell some type of reduced recoil loads.

If you are looking for low velocity performance then substitute a 30-30 bullet for standard .308cal bullets. They are designed to expand at the lower velocities.

Here is what turned up in a quick search for me.

Reduced Recoil Reloads

reduced 30 06 handloads - Yahoo! Search Results

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
I said in an earlier post I tried the Remington Reduced Recoil load in my Rem.700 30-06. 125 grainer and the reduced recoil was noticeable. Makes the rifle more pleasant to shoot occasionally. Would not try out of an auto though. Might not cycle. Maybe someone else knows different though.

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Have you considered something like listing the 30.06 in the Gun Trading post in the firearms listing here for a trade for a smaller caliber? That way your only cost should be shipping the 06 to the other person. Seems to be a lot cheaper than a rebarrel.

·
Premium Member
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ganny no I had not, will keep in mind though

padallin mauser roggom and valiormajor thanks for the info looking into all of it

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I have to admit the first and only time i have fired a 30-06 it belonged to a friend and he reloads for it and he had some rounds with 129 grain bullets (factory ammo here only is available in 150 grain upwards for bullet choice) and even with a standard charge of powder it was very pleasant to shoot the 110 grain bullets would shoot like a laser and still ethically kill deer sized game without having to make a load with a reduced powder charge and would still essentially be a low recoil round that has not been handicapped in the reduced charge of powder.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I have just down loaded my '06 for shooting 100yd target 3 position (32 rounds) I used 125 gr Sierras and 39 gr of IMR 4895 (this is the powder the lead bullet shooters use a lot). Recoil was noticably reduced and I am certain any deer sized animal wouldn't notice the difference.

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
I have to admit the first and only time i have fired a 30-06 it belonged to a friend and he reloads for it and he had some rounds with 129 grain bullets (factory ammo here only is available in 150 grain upwards for bullet choice) and even with a standard charge of powder it was very pleasant to shoot the 110 grain bullets would shoot like a laser and still ethically kill deer sized game without having to make a load with a reduced powder charge and would still essentially be a low recoil round that has not been handicapped in the reduced charge of powder.
I have 2 M1 Garands and a Savage 110 in 30.06. Years ago I had an old BSA in 30.06. I wonder what that BSA might go for now? I bought it at a pawn shop, but that was so long ago I forget what I paid for it. Since I was a lowly E-3 in the Navy, not too much, that's for sure.

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
I have 2 M1 Garands and a Savage 110 in 30.06. Years ago I had an old BSA in 30.06. I wonder what that BSA might go for now? I bought it at a pawn shop, but that was so long ago I forget what I paid for it. Since I was a lowly E-3 in the Navy, not too much, that's for sure.
Must be Birmingham Small Arms Gangdog I assume. Friend had a Parker Hale in 06. English I think. When I find my Blue Book I will check on your BSA.

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Must be Birmingham Small Arms Gangdog I assume. Friend had a Parker Hale in 06. English I think. When I find my Blue Book I will check on your BSA.

Yep, she was British. U9 Mauser action. Now why the British made a 30.06 with all the .303 Brits in the country??????

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
Was it a military type or a sporter style gangdog? Lists a CF-2 action in various calibers and Majestic Deluxe series. My book is a few year old but could get rough estimate if you recall model or markings on barrel-receiver. Prices all over the place depending on model.

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Was it a military type or a sporter style gangdog? Lists a CF-2 action in various calibers and Majestic Deluxe series. My book is a few year old but could get rough estimate if you recall model or markings on barrel-receiver. Prices all over the place depending on model.

Oh fudge, this was like 38 years ago! Pretty sure it was a sporter. Did not look military to me. Was my first big cal bolt action rifle.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts