Gun and Game Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
Yeah that was a few years ago pal. Unfortunately worth at least $450 on up now. Hey we all went through buying, selling, trading over the years. Traded or resold a few over the years myself. Started with a Smith and Wesson model 39 and after I traded in for this and that ended up with a CS 9 Chief Special. Pretty much what I started with. Worst mistake I made was passing up a Colt Bullseye Target Match 22 made in late 30s or 40s. Worth $2500 or more now. Live and learn.

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Yeah, I also sold a 1956 Russian Tula SKS, and wish I didn't now with today's prices. But I needed the cash back then, and I did sell it for more than I bought it for. Seeing as a guy at work's father bought a crate of the darned things, and wanted to sell a few to make up some of the cost. About four co-workers and me bought one.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
The January 2006 Issue of Guns & Ammo list several low recoil loads for various calibers. The article was written by Bob Forker. He listed 2 powders using different bullets and primers for the 30-06:
Nosler 125gr. Balistic Tip VV N133 Win Powder WLR Primer starting at 30 grains for 1050 fps for very mild and 35 graisn at 2350 fps for medium recoil. The other loads are Speer 130 Gr HP Win 748 Powder CCI 200 Primers starting at 2060 fps for very mild and 26 grains for medium recoil. In the article he states that he used a dacron plug over the powder, and that it is not necessary to fill the case, just enough to hold the powder in the back of the case.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We have a Bingo!

Not to sound snarky - but - if you want a .30 cal bullet but you don't want the kick - buy a .308. I can understand reloaders wanting the 30-06 for it wide variance of load development. If you simply own a 30-06 but "don't like the recoil" - then you own the wrong gun. It's like owning a .300 Winchester magnum and then loading it down to 30-06 ballistics. Despite what it's says on the barrel - you are no longer hunting with a .300 magnum, you are now shooting a 30-06 cartridge. ;)
Well I have a selection of rifles to choose from, but I have a young Grandson that is a lefty. My Grandpa's old Rem 760 in 30-06 is for him. So I will be loading some reduced recoil loads for it until he gets big enough to handle full power loads. I'm thinkin it will be worth it to own his Great, Great Grandpa's rifle. I could buy him his own, but I'm a firm believer in passing down family names, traditions and heirlooms. Old fashioned I guess.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Well I have a selection of rifles to choose from, but I have a young Grandson that is a lefty. My Grandpa's old Rem 760 in 30-06 is for him. So I will be loading some reduced recoil loads for it until he gets big enough to handle full power loads. I'm thinkin it will be worth it to own his Great, Great Grandpa's rifle. I could buy him his own, but I'm a firm believer in passing down family names, traditions and heirlooms. Old fashioned I guess.
See my note the second on this thread. Same story with a grandson.

Reactions: neophyte

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Use the 30-30 bullets, 130 grain or so. Look up 30-06 loads for M1 Garand vintage rifles.

Or just use a 308 or a that Black Out 30 cal.

Reactions: neophyte

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Funny how everyone with a 308 thinks "Its almost the same and just as good as a '06".

Then three days later it kicks soft as butter compare to that vicious monster the 30-06.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts