close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Refinished M44

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Snakebite, May 10, 2002.

1. I put all the tricks I learned here to use and refinished the stock on my M44. I tried the Easy Off oven cleaner on the stock. After using a whole can on it and then hosing it off I let it dry outside overnight. I was shocked at what I saw in the morning! The wood went from a dark greasy nasty chunk of wood to a real light and spotlessy clean piece with nice grain. It was real easy to sand smooth without any cosmoline clogging the sandpaper. I had never tried the Tru-Oil before but I got some and that will definitely be what I use on my next Mosin. I have 8 coats on it now and I could quit but heck---theres still some left in the bottle! I reblued it with Brownells 44/40 cold blue. Thats good stuff. The only other blueing I have ever used needed to have the metal warmed in the oven so I didnt think this stuff would work as good as it did. I read somewhere that it took 43 hours to build one Mosin. I got more hours than that just refinishing it. Its gonna be too pretty to shoot. Nah, cant do all that work and not shoot it.

2. If you are able to you should post a picture of your "Work in progress".

3. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    I know your proud, I've gone through this process and know the feeling of satisfaction at the end. I'ts literally a labor of love!

4. I actually just got finished completely disassembling my M-44, I have cleaned and lightly oiled the action, bayonet, and box magazine area and would like to work on the stock. It is one of those laminate stocks but it appears to have some type of Shellac on it which is thin or almost gone in some places. In other places there are some light scratches in it which I would like to get out. Any good ideas on how to clean this stock up? I have also seen the same method with the Easy off, would this work with the shellac?

5. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    some folks on the home gunsmithing may be able to help, I'm guessing that the shellack will need to be taken off with a good stripper, I personally use Zip Strip.

6. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

hi stewart,my m-44 is also a laminated stock w/a few dings in it.if you are just doing 'spot' repairs you can use 00 steel wool then touch up w/a shellac or varnish type finish for an original look.don't know about the oven cleaner on a lam. stock,though.i'd be worried about it causing the glue to soften and the layers to separate.i am thinking of sanding mine and refinishing w/polyurethane.

7. Poccur

Poccur G&G Newbie

M44 refurb

Hello all...I have a laminated stock Russian M44 and I degreased/cleaned it with 409 and gave it a light sanding to shift the shellac. Be real careful about soaking a laminated stock for too long...they can and WILL delaminate.
    Stained the wood with Minwax golden oak and finished with hand rubbed polyurethane. Got the cosmoline off the metalwork with Clorox cleanup(with bleach) mixed with X14 bathroom cleaner..ha ha...it scoured an especially bright line across the sink and plughole...oops...wife go nuts...now have to clean the whole kitchen sink to match...grumble...
    Anyway, it eats cosmoline...reblued with cold solution, light coating of outers gun oil and reassemble...ta da:nod:
    Maybe not an authentic looking gun but one of the prettiest guns on the range...also makes big bang/flash..but you all knew that one:D

8. Snakebite,

I'm happy your 44 turned out well.

If you get the chance to show a pic, please do.

Stewart, I echo Poccrs sentiments about the laminated stock. Although I haven't worked with laminated stocks yet you can look at laminated wood similarly to plywood that gets too wet and then dries.

One big thing in a successful stock job is NOT helping the drying process by putting it in sunlight, under a heat lamp, using a blow dryer etc. That's an almost sure recipe for stock cracks.

Just let it dry in a cool dry place free of drafts, etc. and you should do well.

Be careful on the amount of oven cleaner you use, too. It pulls oil out; we know that and now I am STILL trying to salvage the stock off of my Steyr M95. Mine had so much cosmolene worked into the grain the stock was actually a very dark grey color (rather than the rich brown it should have been) and I used far too much oven cleaner and the stock developed stress cracks just from the cleaner. I think it simply dried out the wood too much.

I'm sure I an going to be able to salvage it but it's turned out to be a two week project thus far.

I just finished putting the stain on my Scmidt Rubin K31 that I cleaned and sanded and it came out great so far. I put Minwax Colonial Walnut on it and it has a warm orangish-brown color to it.

Now, I'm deciding on Tung or Boiled Linseed oil for the final finish. I'll probably go with Tung oil.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2002
  9. M44 with true oil

The camera flash makes it look shinier than it really is but the finish is really smooth. Thats about nine coats with steel wool between coats.

10. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Very good looking! I like the bluing on it. Looks like it just came off of the production line. Guess I'll have to finally break down and start my M91/59 soon. :rolleyes: