Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just finished touching up my Mauser...what do you think. 3 coats of boiled lindseed oil and some reblue on the bolt and butt cap.

I forgot to mention it's a Russian Capture German 98K 1943 Obendorf with matching numbers.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
That looks really nice...question, what's the difference between boiled linseed oil and tung oil, and do you actually boil the linseed oil before you apply it? I am re-finishing one of my rifles and am new to it...thanks.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Thumbs up good job!

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
That looks really nice...question, what's the difference between boiled linseed oil and tung oil, and do you actually boil the linseed oil before you apply it? I am re-finishing one of my rifles and am new to it...thanks.

Boiled linseed oil (BLO) and tung oil (TO) are two different oils from two different plants. You do not boil linseed oil unless your homeowners insurance is paid up. Rather, that is an indication that the oil contains metalic driers. You can use them interchangeably. Some like TO better than BLO as it provides a more durable finish. Some do not like the shine of TO. To each his own I guess. There are many method to apply these oils. As a general rule, thin the oil with turpentine or odorless mineral spirits (OMS) 50/50 before applying. Rub in a thin coat. Wait 20 minutes. Wipe off excess. Allow to dry at least 24 hours before recoating. Post your questions in the Garand forum. Stock Doc will help.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I use boiled linseed cut with Mineral Spirits 25% BLO, 3 coats,0000 steel wool between each coat, then tung oil 20% TO sometimes I use Tru-Oil but that is sometimes hard to find around here, 5 to 6 coats depending on the finish, using a scoth-bright pad between coats 1,2and3. 24 hours between each coat minimum. I might use a paste wax floor polish or a final coat of murphy's lemon oil

1 - 11 of 11 Posts