Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
MSR Shooter and Builder, Precision Bolt Action Rim & Center Fire enthusiast. Glock & 1911 pistoleer
7,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I picked this one up almost 2 years ears ago at a local gunshop. It had too much going for it for me to pass up except for whatever reason the stock was worn and glossy. I also found out it had 3 costs of paint of different colors on the stock.
I also removed the matte bluing and Parkerized most of the metal.
Before:
Trigger Air gun Bumper Gun barrel Gun accessory

After:

Bicycle part Air gun Auto part Bicycle fork Pipe

·
Registered
MSR Shooter and Builder, Precision Bolt Action Rim & Center Fire enthusiast. Glock & 1911 pistoleer
7,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great job BigED! Like the barrel especially.
Thanks, that finish is the Parkerizing marketed through Dura-Coat that I purchased from Midway-USA. Before I always used the Milspec Manganese Phosphate based Parkerizing from Brownells.
I have a feeling this is same thing meaning I fairly recently found out that the original company is still in business and I wouldn't doubt they supply to both sellers. There might be a little ingredient tweaking but I'm not certain.
My finish prep is mainly sandblasting with good quality general purpose sand similar to the old Coarse #3 Sandblasting Sand.
To strip the paint off I used Watco brand stripper and some steel wool.
And a word about the paint I used. Rust-Oleum Multicolored Textured Brown. If my stock didn't have a cheek piece I would not have chosen that paint. I made that mistake once on a early model 700 5R Milspec and the paint covered comb rubbed my skin raw after 40rds of 168gr HPBT Match.😵 But it's great for a non reflective finish and if painted over with thinner matte paints gives a subtle 3D effect.
If I decide to do that.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Thanks, that finish is the Parkerizing marketed through Dura-Coat that I purchased from Midway-USA. Before I always used the Milspec Manganese Phosphate based Parkerizing from Brownells.
I have a feeling this is same thing meaning I fairly recently found out that the original company is still in business and I wouldn't doubt they supply to both sellers. There might be a little ingredient tweaking but I'm not certain.
My finish prep is mainly sandblasting with good quality general purpose sand similar to the old Coarse #3 Sandblasting Sand.
To strip the paint off I used Watco brand stripper and some steel wool.
And a word about the paint I used. Rust-Oleum Multicolored Textured Brown. If my stock didn't have a cheek piece I would not have chosen that paint. I made that mistake once on a early model 700 5R Milspec and the paint covered comb rubbed my skin raw after 40rds of 168gr HPBT Match.😵 But it's great for a non reflective finish and if painted over with thinner matte paints gives a subtle 3D effect.
If I decide to do that.
Nice job. Yeah, that paint is like running coarse sandpaper through your hand. I refinished the rear axle housing on my GTO and some other suspension parts that were badly pitted with that paint. Looks good like rough cast iron.

·
Registered
7,868 Posts
I picked this one up almost 2 years ears ago at a local gunshop.
BigEd63, I took a look at your photo again and it looks like the action is based on the Rem 700 SPS Tactical because of the shorter barrel. See Remington's description:
The Model 700 SPS Tactical is a highly maneuverable member of the family. It's built for tack-driving accuracy with a 20" heavy-contour tactical-style barrel and dual-point pillar bedding in its black synthetic stock. StackPath See photo below.
My son bought one years back in .308 Win and he also changed out the stock and we added a Tactical Bolt Knob. I will say that those models have absolutely extraordinary accuracy and will drive tacks until you get tired of shooting.
I bought the 700 SPS Target Varmint in .223 Rem with a 26 inch barrel and I am just as thrilled every time I take it to the range.
I also have a Ruger VT-77 Target Varmint in .308 Win with a brown laminated stock and stainless 26 inch barrel.

Gun barrel Air gun Gun accessory Trigger Cylinder

·
Registered
7,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BigEd63, I took a look at your photo again and it looks like the action is based on the Rem 700 SPS Tactical because of the shorter barrel. See Remington's description:
The Model 700 SPS Tactical is a highly maneuverable member of the family. It's built for tack-driving accuracy with a 20" heavy-contour tactical-style barrel and dual-point pillar bedding in its black synthetic stock. StackPath See photo below.
My son bought one years back in .308 Win and he also changed out the stock and we added a Tactical Bolt Knob. I will say that those models have absolutely extraordinary accuracy and will drive tacks until you get tired of shooting.
I bought the 700 SPS Target Varmint in .223 Rem with a 26 inch barrel and I am just as thrilled every time I take it to the range.
I also have a Ruger VT-77 Target Varmint in .308 Win and a brown laminated stock and stainless 26 inch barrel.

View attachment 176060
Well although I'm not for sure what it was originally and your guess is as good as mine here's what I know.:
When I initially bought the rifle the barrel had evidence of either being re-crowned or shortened and re-crowned.
It was in the white plus the crown looked more gunsmith than gun company. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of it before I applied bluing and then later Parkerizing.
Automotive tire Rim Household hardware Automotive wheel system Wood

On the barrel the production and proof/inspection stamps are these:
Lefte side marks on barrel.
Automotive tire Bumper Wood Handwriting Vehicle door

Right side marks on barrel.
Automotive tire Gadget Audio equipment Vehicle door Font

Serial number lettering on receiver RR*****C.
Font Automotive exterior Tints and shades Rectangle Bumper

And why the barrel is probably just re-crowned is that it's, according to the cleaning rod test using my precision Stanley tape measure,😁 exactly 20".
I actually wish it was 22" as that was the length of my original .308Win build on a '98 Mauser action.
Maybe when this one gets wore out I'll go to a 22" bull barrel.

·
Registered
7,868 Posts
Well although I'm not for sure what it was originally and your guess is as good as mine here's what I know.:
When I initially bought the rifle the barrel had evidence of either being re-crowned or shortened and re-crowned.
BigEd63, I looked at a photo of my son's rifle and it didn't have a recessed crown so it sure could have been done after the fact. His barrel is factory spec at 20 inches and it shoots like a dream and is deadly accurate every shot. Truthfully, you will probably be overjoyed when you get it to the range.
Here's a link to a company that sells Rem 700 machining tools and aftermarket parts.
And of course Brownells has a lot of stuff. Just Google them
This Bolt Knob from a different supplier is interesting and worth looking at because iit just screws together and covers the factory bolt knob:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts