close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Refinishing

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by TKH, Apr 2, 2002.

1. TKH

TKH G&G Newbie

I recently read an article about refinishing a pistol with the Brownells kit, bake-on type finish. I am thinking about trying it on a single-six that has seen much better days, but now I can not find the article. Did anyone else see the article, and if so which magazine and what date? (It was a Browning Buckmark that he refinished) Also, has anyone else tried this type of refinishing, and what were the results? I don't expect perfection, but am interested in trying it.

2. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

you know I bet Don would have a better knowledge of finishes on the metal. I have heard some of these do it yourself finishes can come out aweful

3. I've used Brownells Baking Lacquer and AlumiHide II finishes on a couple of firearms. The black baking lacquer matched the original factory finish on a new Aussie lower that I put on an L1A1. Looks very good, and has survived Hoppes, Sweet's 7.62 and some other solvents and oils. Only draw back is that it does tend to chip or wear away in areas like behind the charging handle, behind the safety lever and take-down latch lever; though it can be touched up if you get all the grease and oil off. I've also used it on an old French Berthier carbine with good luck.
    I put the AlumiHide on the plastic furniture on the L1A1 and it too came out well, though just a little too high gloss to really look right.
    Used properly these finishes are OK for refinishing a cheaper firearm, or one you're going to handle a lot. If it wears, just clean it up and spray it again.
    Regards,
    Hal Beatty

4. jarcp

jarcp G&G Newbie

Refinishing a MR in .357 Mag

I am in the process of refinishing a magnum research desert eagle in .357 mag. When I bought it, it had the traditional rough phosphate finish on it, I decided I'd like it in a deep gloss blue, and statred taking off the phosphate. What I found under it suprised me! the mill work was horrible! So I bought some stones and have just about gotten it where I want it, with a gloss "white finish" So my question is how do I get it to be that great deep blue? I've cold blued a few pieces for other guns but I'm thinking I'll prob. need to hot blue. What is the process for hot bluing?

5. While I've never tried the Alumahyde, I have tried their Teflon-Moly coat, and don't think I'll use it again, unless I get an airbrush and buy it in bulk. The problem I found was that the spray nozzles on the can would get clogged up and not give you an even finish, and I'm aparently not the only one, as Brownells now sells extra nozzles for cleaning out the can and replacing the spray nozzle. Even doing that, I wasn't impressed, and used it only for sights etc. At about 16 bucks a can (small one too!), I'm just going to pass right now. Just a tip for you who do want to try it: when you bake it, use the lower temperature and bake it longer, as it won't be so brittle. In addition, if you're going to do a lot of it, but a cheap toaster oven and just use it for that. Seems when you bake it, it gives off fumes that will coat the inside of your oven, and I don't think you want that mixed with the food Mamas cookin' for you. These last two tips courtesy of Walter Birdsong of Black-T fame. Best of luck,

6. ScottD

ScottD G&G Newbie

JARCP- Hot Bluing requires heated tanks proper ventilation and the use of caustic salts to do a blue job. I recommend finding someone set up to do it for you.

7. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

WELL JARCP???

did you ever get the Desert Eagle blued??? how did it turn out??? the reason for the phosphate finish is because it covers a lot of sins, as you found out!!!

:assult: :nod: :eek: :D

8. I've refinished a few guns with Brownells baking laquer. 2 shotguns and a rifle. One of the shotguns was my Mossberg 500A (my favorite Turkey gun for the rough country) I did it in the OD Green and it's lasted very well. It's made it through two turkey seasons and I'm really rough on a turkey gun, brush, mud, bouncing around in the back of my Jeep...
    The trick is, you have to make sure to get all the old finish stripped off and everything completely degreased, no fingerprints or dust. Don had a good point though. Bake it at the lower temperature for a little longer. Getting it too hot can mess up the finish. Actually the guntech at Brownells said to go about half an hour over on the baking time because the baking time it calls out on the can doesn't start until the gun reaches the baking temperature.

9. Thrawn

Thrawn G&G Newbie

I betcha if he polished her that good she's mighty purty.