Gun and Game Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I checked out the easy quick trim die on you tube. From What I ca figure out he needs the cutter that goes inside the die. What I can't figure is what holds the case in place during trimming.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
My friend came up today and brought a reloading Lee die for his .223. No problem.. As far as as trimming he brought up a Lee Rifle Quick Trim Die. What in the world is this. Never seen one before and a Lyman E-ZEE TRIM. Never seen one of these either. It is a Hand Trimmer Pilot, no thread to screw on a cutter for trimmng like I use on 30/06, 308, 303, 30/30 etc. My trimmer tools I can put in a drill and quickly trim cases and deburr them.
Are you talking about one like this: It needs both parts. I am like you, mine fit in a drill or the Lee can be trimmed by hand but that takes a while. Cable Tool Font Electrical wiring Wire I have one like this I use a lot. either by hand or in a drill.
Hand Finger Gesture Automotive lighting Office supplies

and I have one of the little cranks that I do not use much.
Liquid Fluid Peripheral Auto part Camera accessory

The little Lee above is the one I use the most.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I used to trim 30-06 in a die I'd ground off so the neck stuck through the top and just filed it off. Once adjusted you could do one after another for a 100 and never adjust anything.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
In your middle picture what I've used in my reloading life except bottom of case is secured in the shell holder and the cutting shaft is inserted into the case mouth and the cutter trims the case. I don't know what the yellow part is in the picture. I use a drill to spin the cutter. The bottom picture I saw on you tube. Our problem is friend has pace maker and can't use an electric drill. Mysef I can walk the dog with a drill. I see what he brought up is missing the part in your bottom picture. When I trim with middle picture I have to use a deburring tool. I always clean inside the throat before resizing. For me this is all I need. I'm teaching him reloading and he's not familiar with all he needs. Its a slow process. Like all of us we didn't learn all this stuff over night.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
In your middle picture what I've used in my reloading life except bottom of case is secured in the shell holder and the cutting shaft is inserted into the case mouth and the cutter trims the case. I don't know what the yellow part is in the picture. I use a drill to spin the cutter. The bottom picture I saw on you tube. Our problem is friend has pace maker and can't use an electric drill. Mysef I can walk the dog with a drill. I see what he brought up is missing the part in your bottom picture. When I trim with middle picture I have to use a deburring tool. I always clean inside the throat before resizing. For me this is all I need. I'm teaching him reloading and he's not familiar with all he needs. Its a slow process. Like all of us we didn't learn all this stuff over night.
The little Lee tool we both use is all I use now. Forever I did not put it in the drill just did it by hand. Now I have wrist problems and if doing very many the drill is the way to go. I bought a cheap small Walmart battery operated drill that works great. If he is shooting them in an AR they really need trimmed or sooner or later they will hang up. My buddy loaded hundreds and did not bother to trim them. We ended up with about one in 20 that would not chamber so we had to set them aside to shoot in my bolt action. Now, I darn sure trim the 223 reloads. On most straight wall cases I usually do not bother, 38 spec, 38 short ,357 ,44s , 45 colt, 454, and even 45-70. On the 45 acp I load for the revolvers I do not trim and have not had a problem,

I think you are wise to teach him to not skip steps, so he will end up with perfect ammo. Especially if he is shooting them in an AR. Good luck. He is lucky to have someone show him the right way.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I trim all bottle neck cases. Never trimmed straight wall cases. My 1st round I ever reloaded was 30 cal. carbine rounds. I couldn't even guess how many I've reloaded. I keep all my 30/06 in Browning links and .308 in M60 links. That way I can keep them all together when going to the range. It really turns some heads. My favorite machine gun I learned to work on in small arms repair school in the army I still remember was the 1919A4 Browning machine gun. 1966. I still see me firing that thing. He's firing these .223s in his mini 14. Don't ask me about my feelings about the poodle shooter XM16E1s I worked on in Viet Nam. I got there when they went to chrome lined chambers and barrels. This is my 1919A6.
Wood Flooring Floor Automotive tire Hardwood

21 - 26 of 26 Posts