Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I JUST BOUGHT A 44 MAG LEVER ACTION RIFLE AND A TUARUS TRACKER 44 MAG AND I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE HAD A AN IDEA OF A GOOD LOAD FOR EACH.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
I would try Winchester,Remington,or Federal any weight you want.If you mean reloads,I would advise looking in a load manual.You can get them free by going on the web and puting most powder,press,and bullet mfg,s page on.They will mail them to you free.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,594 Posts
Every firearm will be a bit different. Following Sam's recommendatin then starting with safe recommended loads and a lot of testing. Your gun will tell you what it likes.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I JUST BOUGHT A 44 MAG LEVER ACTION RIFLE AND A TUARUS TRACKER 44 MAG AND I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE HAD A AN IDEA OF A GOOD LOAD FOR EACH.
You will like the leveraction, and most my acurate loads are the 44 special. I cast my own with a 245 flat-tip. Easy to shoot and will smack plates out to 200,250 yards all day long. Since both my guns are mags, I load the specials ++p,sNOTE: these are designated loads for MY guns only. Magnums are nice to experiance or for that special hunt, but I preferr the lesser loads for plinking.As for load data, the net is full of info, try MD Smith. Gunshops usually give away small pamphlets which they get free from their powder manufacturers. I keep all of them because they constantly add or drop certain calibers. Good luck,

Rod

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
For hunting loads I use a 240 gr Hornady XTP with Hodgdon H110 powder.

For plinking I use a 240 gr cast Kieth bullet with WW231.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
unique is a good all around powder
and i always recommend titegroupits pretty flexible too

·
Registered
67 Posts
I load 200 grain cast lead bullets with 7.2 grains of Universal. Very mild, clean load.

·
Registered
2 Posts
44 Mag Cartrige overpressure

I've loaded 44 mag rounds with several different Win 231 powder loads and have some confusing results. I'm using Win LP primers and 240 gr JHP bullets. I have measured some muzzle velocities with the following results.
Factory loads 5 shots, 1270 fps average.
My loads with 8 gr Win 231 5 shots, 976 fps ave
My loads with 8.5 gr Win 231 5 shots, 1020 fps ave
but casing showed slight over pressure and were tight in cylinders.
I had originally loaded some at 9.0 gr Win 231 and casings were very tight (no velocity measurements on these).
Most data I found on several reloading sites called for 8.0 to 11.0 gr of Win 231 for that particular bullet. I use an RCBS competition powder measure and a manual scale to double check powder weight. My pistol is a S&W 44 mag revolver. The velocity measurements indicate my loads are to low, but the tight casings suggest over pressure.Any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
931 Posts
.44Mag

DD41,
Welcome to the board. There are some knowledgeable reloaders here..
W231 is a relatively fast burning powder for .44 Mag and it will not give top performance. When I had a .44 Mag, I would load 7.5 gr of w231 under a 240 gr jacketed bullet for a plinking load (pistol, not rifle), but I was mainly interested in avoiding pain and never measured the velocity. I suspect that it was pretty sedate.
I would recommend a slower powder especially if you are trying for the factory ammo velocity ballpark. The classic powder for the .44 Mag is Alliant/Hercules 2400 (I believe that Elmer Keith used this one), and another would be W296/H110.
I am sure that others, especially current .44 mag loaders, will offer some additional info.
Again, welcome to the board. This a fascinating and enjoyable hobby
DocAitch

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,594 Posts
For plinking loads, I'm digging the Trail Boss. I load 6 grains under a cast 240 grain SWC for my dad's 44. Nice load. pretty much fills the case to the bullet.

·
Things are not what they seem.
11,797 Posts
It sounds like you're somewhat familiar with reloading. BE CAREFUL when working with the cartridges that fit both rifle and revolver. Rifle loads given in my Sierra are way over the maximum loads given for revolvers. If you load to the higher levels your rifle will handle, mark the shells with marker or something so you don't put them in your revolver. It could be a costly mistake.

Obviously, going the other way won't hurt anything, but you won't be getting all you can out of the rifle, either. Lot's of guys take this route anyways, letting the longer barrel of the rifle give them a little more velocity than the handgun, but not running the risk of breaking something expensive or getting injured.

·
Banned
4,920 Posts
Congrats on your .44 purchases...

...they'll serve you well and be the source for much enjoyment.

The reloading recommendations given are sufficient...

...and, there'll be plenty more to follow.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I've been reloading .44 mag for a few months now, my favorite powders are titegroup for light loads, and I use H110 for my full power loads.

I have a Super Redhawk so that lets me load them a little longer and use 325 bullets for some real knock down power.

Follow Sam's advice start with published minimums from a load manual and work up from there.

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
unique is a good all around powder
and i always recommend titegroupits pretty flexible too
I don't know.....Unique is a pretty dirty powder. I might want to use something cleaner burning in a lever action rifle.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I'm just an old fogy but I defer to the master ( Elmer Keith) when it comes to the 44Mag. (it was his baby) he recomended 22 gr of 2400 and his 429421 hard cast bullet. I have found no reason to change a thing.

·
Things are not what they seem.
11,797 Posts
240 - 255gr SWC(429421)
10.0gr Unique
8.0gr W231
6.0gr Red dot
22.0gr IMR-4227

318gr SWC
17.0gr IMR-4227
6.1gr Red Dot

Lever Gun Performance Studies
I like Red Dot. Haven't used it in the .44 mag yet, but I load .357 and .45 ACP with it. It has to be among the most cost effective powders out there since you need so little.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts