Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been thinking about trying 45 auto rim ammo for my 1917 smith.i would like to load light/target loads.my 1917 warhorse is in good shape but i dont want to hotrod the old girl.any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've been reloading 45 auto rim for years. In fact, I probably have a few boxes of cases I'll sell you cheap. I love the Lee carbide die set. Feel free to try many different bullet, powder and load combos. I often just used loads for .45acp with good results.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've got 1 box of 100 new cases left. I have no idea what they're worth, so make an offer. I can send by 1st class mail for $3.50.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
From everything I've read, the 45 Auto Rim should be loaded just like a 45 ACP would have been loaded at the very beginning.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have a Dillon 550. I load several calibers, including .45 ACP and .45 AR. I use the same dies and setup for both, but different shell plates. I reload my m45 AR fairly mild with 200 gr. SWC and mild loads of W231. Very accurate.
Remington and Starline make brass. I got my latest brass from Midway.

·
Registered
39 Posts
also - according to one of the techs I talked to at Hodgdon, Hodgdon H-110 and W231 are the same powder. They come off the same assembly line. I mention this because you can often find H-110 cheaper than W231.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hogdon H110 is a really slow pistol/shotgun fast rifle powder. it's used for heavy loads in .44 Mag, .30 carbine rounds, .410 shotgun, etc. W231 is a fast pistol powder, too fast for any shotgun use, but would be great for that .45AR
They are completely different!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just to double check I called Hodgdon and they say HP-38 and W231 are the same powder. They said whoever gave me the H-110/W231 information last time was "mistaken"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts